Paint codes

standardthread

25 minutes ago, RobPearce said:

Code 38, though, is of little use to anyone. It's the factory's original code for the "palette" applicable that year. To get it duplicated now you need a more durable code like the RAL one, hence the OP's question.

Yes, my fault I misread the query.  Try https://hdpaintcode.com/triumph/   This lists equivalent paint codes as ICI - 3234 and DuPont - 83739.

Hope this info is of more use.

You can't compare RAL numbers to the original paint codes. Best way to do it is take an original painted part to a paint supplier who has a spectrum analyser so that can scan it and produce as exact a match as is possible. When i had my car painted I simply proved the paint shop with the original triumph code and they still managed to get the colour right.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

I re-painted the car I need paint for now four years ago using paint from a supplier who had the correct codes. The car was then vandalised by thugs and needed re-painting (and more) again. I hadn’t enough paint left to re-paint again and started searching for a less expensive source.

In my searches I went on to Wiki to try and find RAL codes and found them listed here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_RAL_colors as separate colour bars, i.e. red, green, grey etc. Having found the bars I printed the grey bar on a laser printer and laid the bar on the car to match it to the Phantom Grey I had previously used.

The RAL colour I found as a closest match (in reality exact match) was RAL 7011, Iron Grey.

Back to the net. To have more paint mixed by the first supplier costs over £40, plus carriage etc. per litre. To have a litre of RAL 7011 mixed, and delivered cost me £21. I got it from; www.apshull.com  (no connection).

As can be seen, quite a difference and saving.

There could be a caveat here. I have made and painted numerous models in my life and use a grey undercoat on them all. To over paint the grey with a red top coat takes a number of coats to cover the grey. Talking to a professional carriage painter he suggested using yellow as an undercoat for the red. Result, one top coat of red over yellow undercoat gave me the required finish!

The undercoat on the car is grey primer.

26 minutes ago, standardthread said:

The RAL colour I found as a closest match (in reality exact match) was RAL 7011, Iron Grey.

When I worked for Racal Defense Electronics as production planner responsible for 'Ships commercial' i.e. not Royal Navy, the only colours I used were 7000 & 7001. One for above decks the other for below, forget which way round. Never like grey since 😆