Ballasted or non-ballasted coil?

Spitfire74

Evening all,

So I need to replace the coil on my Spitfire (MkIV with a 1500 engine). I want to use a Sports Coil in order to upgrade from the current (possibly original but now buggered!) coil. I have found this one (https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/spitfire/electrical-system/ignition-system/sports-coil.html) on Moss Europe, but am unsure whether I need a ballasted or non ballasted coil?

Is anyone able to advise?

Pics of my current coil below;

Thanks in advance,

Nick

20210725_161531.jpg

20210725_161516.jpg

20210725_161522.jpg

Just now, Dannyb said:

Can't see a pink/white ballast wire in your photos, or a ballast restore. So I suspect you have a 12v coil. 

To make sure measure the resistance of the coil. 

Ballast = 1.5 ohms

Non ballast = 3 ohms

Danny

Restore = resistor.... Bloody predicted text. 

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your reply. I note what you say about no pink/white wire in the pictures, however having looked at the wiring diagram for a 1500 in the back of the Haynes Manual, I'm not certain that any of those wires are the correct colour! Are you able to advise as to where I would be able to locate the ballast resistor if present? 

I'm away from the car until Friday but will check the resistance when I am back with it (I assume it is a terminal of the multimeter onto each winding screw?).

Thanks again.

The problem with locating the ballast resistor is that on later cars it's just a length of not-very-good wire built in to the loom. This is the white/pink one.

The other thing you should have on a ballasted coil is a second connection to the positive terminal, from a fourth terminal of the solenoid. I don't see that, either, but then there is a bit of tape wrapped round the white wire to the coil so it may be hiding in there.

Rob,

Ah ok I hadn't realised that was all it was! 

Reference the 'second connection to the positive terminal', I assume this is what would be attached to the empty spade? That tape on the white wire is there because the plastic cover has worn away so just covering the bare wire under part of it.

Cheers, Nick

• 4 weeks later...