't Kreng; a continuing story

Beans

At the moment I am in the process of uprating the front suspension for my TR7 Sprint. Most important upgrade will be the brakes but that is all worked out more or less.�

The other part of the upgrade is converting the original strut uprights to adjustable ones so that I can use (more or less standard) 2�" diameter front springs. I am not sure wether to use the original (rubber) top mount or try to find "something else"�

Anyone out there who can give me some advice on this one; what top mounts are available for a TR7 and what best to use ?

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=1358_532

all nicely supplied in a kit (although still need to source top mounts-S&S sell 'em I think)...not done it myself yet, but it's what I'm planning on... that way you can play with 2 1/4" ID springs, and finetune corner weights/ride height with the seats.. just a bit of welding required to sleeve your struts

• 1 month later...

Well after lots off browsing various (TR7) sites, some measuring off existing  parts, and a good few hours behind the computer I think the redesign is ready, the new front top mount is going to look like this. Most important parts;
- Adjustable front struts with 2¼ inch springs;
- Machined alloy upper spring pan;
- Thrust ball bearing (standard SKF item);
- "Original" Koni dampers for TR7;
- Original rubber top mount;
Expect the parts from the guy who'se doing the machining in the next one or two weeks.
Question for Raider, what is the free and fitted length of your front springs? So that I can calculate the length I'll be needing (running 200 lbs springs and changing to 240/250 lbs)

I planned converting to spherical bearing top mounts but "was talked out off it".
Seems they heve a tendency to be noisy, harsh etc. and no real improvement over the original rubber ones. But I have to admit, no experience with them

• 2 weeks later...

Quoted from Beans
Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1140297657,s=7

Picked up the parts yesterday. Now back to the drawingboard to work out the springlength/rate. Should become something like 240/250lbs/inch rating with a fitted length off approximate 7 inches

I've gone coilovers on my fronts.  I had the strut housings shortened so there was less droop using some Koni reds made for a Stag.  I've heard the k-mac strut tops weren't real good, from more than one source.  I settled on Noltec ones.  a bit more sturdy.  They should only rattle, or be noisy if the top bearing isn't secured tightly and can rattle in place.  I still haven't got my setup installed on the car, but hopefully in a week or so they will be.

• 1 month later...

I'll be interested to know how you go with ride height when you get them all installed.  I have my perches sitting a bit lower than you have yours and have the platforms wound to the bottom.  I haven't got the engine in there, so it doesn't give an accurate ride height yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys great looking brakes would like a set for mine , where did you get them from and what sort of money are they worth, just got the alloy 4 spot ap factory style caliper conversion at the moment and want something a bit better without having to pay brembo prices.

Quoted from Speedyblue
Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1140297657,s=11

Speedyblue, did you manage to get your suspension fitted ok? iv just got some Noltec top mounts (strut tops ) but it looks like the top plate on the top mount will struggle to go over the lip on the top of the turret? did you find this? what was your solution?

Cheers
Steve