't Kreng; a continuing story

Beans

Just have done a short  25 km shake-down/bedding-in run.
First impression off the new brakes and the suspension is good. Although I still have to do the adjustments to the alignment and the shockdampers. The dampers are still at their lowest setting and really to soft on rebound.
Ride height of the car is spot on, the fitted length of the springs (225 lbs/inch, free length 254mm) being 181/179 mm.

Some interesting comments from Noltec and triumph Rover Spares Aus.

Triumh Rover Spares;

Hi Steve

I can see what you mean we put the plate on top it did require a small modification

I know in the instructions it said they go under the turret either way will work

Noltec;

We do not recommend fitting the top plate on the turret top. The Noltec mounts were not designed to be fitted this way and if done so are exempt from warranty.

Me
I do like the top plate mounted on top of the turret, Decisions   

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I am nearly there with the front suspension and the brakes. Initially the brakes felt a bit soft but I think that was due to the "bedding-in" coating on the pads. As the feel of the brakes notably improved after another 120 km run. Under moderate to heavy braking from high speeds they are really impressive 
B.t.w. the brake set up is as follows,
- HiSpec Monster4 calipers (what's in name ...)
- Vented discs ø300 x 28 mm
You need some sticky tyres and some suspension tweeks to use the full potential of these brakes though. With normal road tyres use something lighter 

Rest of the suspension feels also good, steering is much more direct and slightly lighter with the trust bearings in place instead of the plastic bushes. There is a slight problem though,  under extreme loads (as in very short bends , high speeds and potholes under the loaded wheel) the top rubber still bottoms out. I already machined 9mm of the top of the alloy spring pans to get them on the same distance as the original spring pans but that's still not enough. Clearly another one for the list off "things to do". At least that keeps me from the street
Also the set up of the new AVO shock dampers is not yet 100%. Need some more milage and time to get that right.

In principle the R132-4 and Monster4 calipers are the same except that the R132-4 has stainless pistons without dustseals and the Monster4 has alloy pistons with dustseals. And I think the latter are more suited for my driving ...... 
My car gets rather muddy so now and then 

Any idea if the pad clips in the pic look OK? Looking at the pic of Beans HiSpec calipers it looks like he has different pins, HiSpec sent the clips due to the pads knocking on the pins. They wasnt included in the brake kit. not really happy how they sit in the middle they are clearing the disc.

Looking at the info sheet which Neil Revington supplied with the kit there's mention of "one aluminium retainer secured with a long through screw" for the R114/4 caliper. The R132/4 caliper has the same construction as the R114/4, it only has two retainers. So they are designed to be used without spring clips

The Monster4 caliper has two slightly different retainers with spring clips which are also secured with long bolts.  As you can see on the pic' of my brakes the spring clips should sit on the outside of the pads (over the steel backplate).

I think it is wise to contact HiSpec and ask them if the retainers from the Monster4 caliper can be used on your calipers.

It was them that supplied the spring clips, iv sent them the pic of your brakes and mine to see what they reckon, took the spring clips off as a precaution, To be honest they sent them out early this year due to me complaining that the pads were knocking on the pins and at the time i thought no way, Ill see what they come back with, the pics might explain the prob better;-)

• 1 month later...

OK, the new brakes are under the car now for a couple off months and they really work well. Also the new front springs and AVO shock dampers (all round) are working now as they should. The car feels much more comfortable now without having lost any of it's roadholding. So everything's OK you would say .... NO 

Under heavy braking (esp. from high speeds) the nose now dives almost into the road. The backend lifts so much that the propshaft scrapes the exhaust. 
So what can be done to tackle this one? I have already fitted the anti-roll-bar spacers.
Anyone experience with compression struts 

Oops ... that was post 1000 ... I think I'll drink on that one 

• 2 weeks later...