No Indicators/Hazards

Laughingrichard

Hi there

After spending all y spare time this week i have run out of ideas and thought to try a forum.

My indicators stopped working, then the hazards. This is on my 1981 M1V 1500 Spritfire.

I mnaged to get the hazars working again, but the flash is dim (possible short).
After much playing inthe loom and a new flasher i got the indicators working - until i put the speedo back in place and they stoped.
I then forced the earthfor boh and now have no indicators or hazrads.

Are the flasher modules easily damaged when reverssed? something i tried out when stumped for ideas?
Is there a hidden fuse anywhere in this area? The bulbs are all good and the rest looks like its jst cables.

Would realyappriciate and help on this? possible if anyone knows of a wirindiagram that may help, or location of internal earthing points?

Thank you

Richard

Hi Richard

No Hazards or indicators shows that the hazard light switch is faulty (all the wires pass through this switch).  It has contacts open to the air at the back, which become corroded over time.  Ideally, you should get some contact cleaner on the switch contacts (Maplin sell it), but you may get things working again just by repeated use of the hazard switch.

The hazard lights and indicators are fed from different circuits (indicators via the ignition switch) so I would doubt that it is a fuse problem.

Reversing the flasher unit is unlikely to cause trouble (assuming it is an original electro-mechanical type).

There is an accurate wiring diagram in the Haynes manual.  There are a few online versions as well (google "Spitfire wiring diagram") but some of these relate to US-Spec cars which have detail differences.

The fact that the indicators stopped working again when you put the speedo back in may simply be because you have disturbed the wires on the back of the hazard switch again (assuming that your hazard switch is in the same place as mine: between the speedo and rev counter).

Where in the country are you?  If anywhere near me I would be happy to come and help out. (M3 J4a).

cheers
bodders1

bodders1 wrote:
No Hazards or indicators shows that the hazard light switch is faulty (all the wires pass through this switch)

Thats odd - my hazard warning switch is currently laying on the passenger seat and the indicators still work.
Reversing connections on the standard flasher unit will do no harm as there is nothing polarity sensitive inside.
Usual indicator problems are caused by poor earth on rear indicator bulb holders, I added extra wires to earth them directly rather than rely on contact between bulb holder and light fitting.

Dicky_Blighter wrote:
Thats odd - my hazard warning switch is currently laying on the passenger seat and the indicators still work.

Dicky - your car started life as a Mark IV.  I don't think mark IVs had hazard lights as standard (the mark IV wiring diagram I've got does not show them).  Therefore, your hazards lights are probably a later addition, and all bets are off as to whether they have "standard" wiring or not.

The Spit 1500 has hazard lights as standard.   The +12v feed for the indicators is a light green/pink or light green/grey wire (depending on year of manufacture) that comes from the back of the hazard light switch.  When the hazard lights are turned on, this feed to the normal indicators is disconnected.  Dirty contacts in the hazard light switch can, thus, explain misbehaviour of both the indicators and hazard lights.

cheers
bodders1

Dicky_Blighter wrote:

Reversing connections on the standard flasher unit will do no harm as there is nothing polarity sensitive inside.
Usual indicator problems are caused by poor earth on rear indicator bulb holders, I added extra wires to earth them directly rather than rely on contact between bulb holder and light fitting.

Are your hazards a retro fit item? Your signiture indicates your car is a 1971.....I didnt think they had hazards?
If that were the case it could explain why your indicators work without it?

My car is a late 1500....the hazard switch is the junction for indicators as Bodders says...

bodders1 wrote:

Dicky - your car started life as a Mark IV. ....... I don't think mark IVs had hazard lights as standard (the mark IV wiring diagram ......The Spit 1500 has hazard lights as standard.  
cheers
bodders1

I think that has a lot to do with it as the deeper I delve int the car I find odd bits - the wiring loom appears to be part 1500 and part MKIV, I think the dash and wiring is from a 1500 but main loom is MKIV but not all the colours match with wiring diagrams. Commision plate appears to be original and looks like never been off but chassis looks like it was magenta at one time but car is red.
Guess thats just normal for a car of this age, I've got lots of history with it in the way of old invoices etc. so can track the engine change date and most of the other major work though.
Not really too bothered as not interested in keeping it original as it's a fun car for driving not showing.
Got an electonic flasher unit to go on when I get chance that combines indicators and hazards in one unit so that should make it more reliable although since I earthed the bulb holders and ditched the hazard switch had no problems with indicators.

Archived