Indicators - why won't they work?

chrisscottwalker

My Spitfire has been plagued with electrical problems. Now the rear indicators are refusing to work, despite me trying new bulbs and replacing the fuses.

The front ones work but the indicator light on the dash flashes furiously for both left and right, as do the front bulbs.

Is it just a case of needing an overhaul of the wiring or is it something else?

Any thoughts welcomed!

probably a bad connection, worth checking all the connections, a good clean up and tighten, especially earths, may well get it sorted. I have also had broblems with the bulb holders being corroded, and in one case both bulbs blown (suspect PO had swapped dud bulbs in and kept the working ones, but how cheap! and difficult to trace as I assumed there was no chance of both bulbs being dud :B)
Good place to start at least...
Clive

take out the bulb holder and remove the bulb,  inside the claw is a small copper strip that contacts the bulb case and also has to contact the claw.. bet if you look at the claw end the contact has developed a gap , this applies to all the holders ,,  
check inside the n/s  wing some have a night dropping relay fitted to reduce the brightness at night  ...good idea till it fails ,  disconnecting the red side light  feed wire should kick it into life, if not remove the blasted thing and link all the like colours   Pete

Hello Chris,

assuming a good flasher relay, fast flash speed usually means too much load somewhere, strange as the rears are not flashing. Poor earth as already mentioned for the rears but check the bulb rating, they should be 21 watt front and rear.

Alec

piman wrote:
Hello Chris,

assuming a good flasher relay, fast flash speed usually means too much load somewhere, strange as the rears are not flashing. Poor earth as already mentioned for the rears but check the bulb rating, they should be 21 watt front and rear.

Alec

Not strictly correct.

It depends on whether the car in question is fitted with a modern electronic flasher unit, or an old Bi-metalic one.

On old cars, either type could be fitted - depending on what was available when the previous owner fitted it.

A modern electronic one will flash furiously when one of the bulbs blows.

An old bi-metalic one will stop flashing when one of the bulbs blows.
It will flash slightly faster if too high a wattage bulb has been used.

My guess is that the previous owner was trying to solve a problem where the indicators flashed too slowly, and rather than finding the corroded connections, he simply fitted a modern electronic unit.

What age is your Spitfire ?
If it is a MKIV, then it probably has a "Night Dimming Relay" located inside the rear left hand wing.
Both rear indicator connections go via this relay - so they do not flash as brightly at night.
In order to maintain the flash rate (because the cars originally had a bi-metalic flasher can, the electronic ones didn't exist back then) the night dimming relay contains some load resistors to compensate for the dimmer flash.
I would suspect the connections to the night dimming relay.

Archived