Help me out - photo of starter solenoid and wiring

irish44j

I seem to have mixed something up someplace during this mess of wiring.

Could someone kindly post a photo of your starter solenoid and where each of the wires attaches and what they are? I have the solenoid off the Mk3 GT6 (and same-year spits, I assume).

Thanks!

Hope this is of some help irish44j.

I'm not very good with labeling pics but the lowest main cable runs down to the starter motor and I think the small red white wire runs to the Ignition switch, the top main cable must run to the battery? and I'm sorry but not sure where the others go at the moment. (sorry no time to investigate further at the moment.

Hope this is of some help, maybe someone else can comment or label the pics for you ;)

The white/yellow wire is not connected if running a 12V coil.
The top fat black cable is the battery (+) cable.
The bottom fat black cable is the starter cable.

All the brown wires go on the top terminal with the battery (+) cable, but if you'd like to differentiate them by their original groups:
single brown wire at left
double skinny brown wires at top right
fat and skinny brown wires bottom right

My, tiggrr has a bright pretty damson scuttle.  It's very nice, and sort of humiliating for those of us with no willpower who know that to paint, you HAVE TO STOP DRIVING THE CAR LONG ENOUGH TO LET THE PAINT DRY oh god my hands are shaking just thinking about trying to do that

perfect guys - that verified the way I set mine up....thanks.

so there is no ground wire off the solenoid anywhere? My solenoid-area harness has a double-ground that comes out of the loom at the same place as the brown wires for the solenoid, with a ring terminal end on it. Perhaps that's what you have mounted to the base of the solenoid, rotoflex?

Richard_B wrote:

That would only be on a car with a ballast resistor in the circuit. I think your car is 'pre' that.

I thought that cars with the ballast resistor were earlier cars - I'm sure I've seen them on Mk1 GT6s.....

irish44j wrote:
so there is no ground wire off the solenoid anywhere?

Its grounded through its mounting screws
Edit: Just noticed the wire with the ring terminal in Rotoflex's picture you mentioned. Wonder if my Spit should have that, works fine without?

CharlieB wrote:

Its grounded through its mounting screws
Edit: Just noticed the wire with the ring terminal in Rotoflex's picture you mentioned. Wonder if my Spit should have that, works fine without?

My "new" harness has that - it's a ground (though to what I'm not sure), and I attached it where Rotoflex attached his - on the solenoid mount bolt.

Archived