Fuel tank fittings

franksm

Hi folks

Little petrol leak on my tank, seems to be appearing on top of the gauge-sender unit. There's a little stub pipe there - on mine it has disintegrated, What is it ? A pipe, or a filter ? Or just a capped-off pipe ?

You can see it here at the 2 O'Clock position in the sender "well".

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/stag/images/ld41b.gif

I don't have another Stag near me to compare with.

Ta

Frank

I had the same problem with mine and was advised to secure an 8mm pipe fitting to it with a blanked end if the original cover wasn't available. You should already have another breather from the tank fill line? Provided this is the case you would be ok to blank off.

Sound ! Thanks to you both. I'll fabricate a "nipple" if the rest of the pipework matches what I expect.

Hope that sorts my petrol smell. I also have a hole in the floor under the tank (and one in the same position on the nearside) so it's possible I have rust there too.

Just waiting to buy a welding machine before I go at it :)

Hi Frank
Another possible source of petrol and smell in the boot.  When you open your filler cap you will see a little hole which drains off spillage when you fill.  Its not easy to see the outlet but there should be a pipe and a filter on it before it is diverted onwards to the ground.  This was missing on mine, so spillage just went into the boot.  It could have been dripping onto the vent pipe and  so on to the well in the tank, but it was a real source of smell.  I just blanked it off and take a lot more care when filling up, then wipe spillage from the bowl at the filler.

Ballykine43 - can you explain exactly what you have blanked off please. I might be wrong but i thought this was part of the tank breathing route. Just sold my Stag so can't look in my boot to remind myself.

Query from Bryan, what have I blanked off? 

The Tank breather joins the large flexible part of the filler within the boot.  To see what I have blanked off, open the petrol filler.  In the bottom of the bowl shaped bit now on view is a drain hole that takes the splashes and spillage whic occur during fuelling away from that area. It should have a pipe and a filter fitted to it, inside the boot,and then passes through the floor of the boot or possibly the lower skin of the rear wing and so to the ground. 

I discovered I didn't have the fittings and so spillage was running directly into the boot.  Not a lot of petrol but a lot of smell.

However I have just discovered that Iwill have to make a proper repair as water,on wet days, now gathers in the bowl and I am dependant on the fuel cap seal to keep it out of the tank. So the drain hole also carries water from the filler area.

Archived