Rebuild Herald 13/60 Carburettor or buy more recent Stromberg CD150

Adrian Girling

I'm about to dismantle and rebuild my Herald carburettor which hasn't been used in years.  I'll certainly need a repair kit with all the gaskets etc, but I'm wondering if buying a more recent CD150 would be a better option?  I'm not bothered about originality and the cable arrangement to the accelerator and choke are missing anyway.  I've seen "old new stock" for more recent vehicles available online for less than the cost of a repair kit.

I'm aware, the Herald Stromberg has no piston spring, presumably relying on gravity, and I have a new spare needle so maybe taking out the spring and fitting the Herald needle would work?

Any thoughts/advice on the feasibilty of this would be welcome.  And in case this gets the thumbs down, where best to buy a repair kit?

2 hours ago, Adrian Girling said:

I'm aware, the Herald Stromberg has no piston spring, presumably relying on gravity, and I have a new spare needle so maybe taking out the spring and fitting the Herald needle would work?

Don't think so. Most, if not all I have re-built have had the spring. If you get stuck I have a number of carbs that will go in the skip, you can have one gratis, plus post.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, standardthread said:

Don't think so. Most, if not all I have re-built have had the spring. If you get stuck I have a number of carbs that will go in the skip, you can have one gratis, plus post.

Wow, that's a really kind offer and I'd really like to take you up on it!  My carb is a bit of a mess and part of my thinking is that I could buy a repair kit and still not get it working!  So a second one, in any condition, is bound to give me a better chance of sorting at least one out.  I'll DM you my address and if you let me have your bank details and the post and packing cost I'll tranfer immediately.