Heater Valve

Stodders

Got the Vitesse out of hibernation yesterday. Truthfully It has probably only been 3 months since I last used It but the weather has been so bad recently.  Anyway all seemed well with it except the heater would not work.  The cause was the heater valve that was completely blocked. When I tried to clear it out it just disintegrated. This is despite the car always having the correct antifreeze mixture.  Not the first time I have had this problem in the 10 years since I restored it.

My question is that there are any number of suppliers of replacements out there but do they all supply the same part in which case should I just find the cheapest or has someone actually started making one that actually lasts?  

I have seen examples where people fit alternative valves to overcome the issues but all the ones I've seen look a bit scruffy.  Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Mike

I replaced a Smiths valve about 10 years ago. It was bought off Ebay, from a engineering place, oop north, that made them (they maybe supply to all the usual suspects, if they still make them?). There was a polite cover note included, that recommended to leave the valve in the open position, when not using car. I have done this, as well as running open when driving, to keep the heater matrix free flowing as well. My car is used, at least every couple of weeks, at least, all year around, so this helps.

It's still fine now, though I have heard of others, only lasting a year or two?

Dave