Converting to SU carbs

badger

After a few attempts at setting the useless  ::) Stromberg carbs (new diaphragms, fully rebuilt etc etc  >:( ) I decided to take the plunge and fit SU's instead. Now, I'm not an out-and-out purist, but I wanted to maintain the std airbox etc, feeling that cone-type filters sitting above hot exhaust manifolds would be asking for trouble, especially on a stag!
Fitted 2 new HIF44 SU's to the original manifold, without the paxolin spacers (only way they'll clear the rocker covers) but using a landrover 110 V8 mixture turbulence plate (ally plate, serrated teeth pointing with the flow direction, alleged to give better mixing) with 2 gaskets either side of the plate. The original throttle linkage was re-fitted, spare stag carb linkages were then modded to fit the SU throttle shafts at the correct angles and new connecting rods fabricated to the required lengths. I machined 2 ally plates 9mm thick to adapt the stromberg bolt pattern of the inlet elbow to mate to the SU carb. This required the manufacture of 2 stepped (offset) studs per side. The whole lot was bolted on, the original airbox needed the 6 bolt holes filing inwards by approx. 3mm each, and the choke cables were connected directly to the carbs after modifying the angle of the operating arms to suit. Breather pipes were re-routed using standard parts from landrover and rover SD1, the carb needles currently fitted are BAK, but I may try BGD or similar with a slightly richer mixture just off idle.
Result, a stag that looks pretty much standard but idles smoother, pulls cleaner and is considerably more responsive to the throttle, and no silly diaphragms to split!  ;D
If anyone is interested in more details, just ask and I'll help wherever I can. I would thoroughly reccommend this mod to anyone.
Badger.

I remember similar problems a good few years back with one of the Rover conversions I used to work on.  Rather than repace his Stroms with S.U,s he decided on a Holley and an Offy.
It was still a pain to set up but it completely transformed the performance of the car.

Archived