Steering rack service

jsargent

Has anyone any experience in changing the seals on a Stag steering rack? I've looked in the Haynes manual and all it says is "not recommended - get an exchange one" . I don't necessarily want to do a complete overhaul, but I've recently seen a few drips of oil leaking from the gaiter, so I was hoping to just change the oils seals, or is it really that difficult?

I have done it a couple of years ago. There is servicing information available. You need to be scrupulously clean and very careful. The Technical Area of www.triumphstag.net (Suspension & Steering) has a good description of how to do it.
Dave

• 11 months later...

its not that difficult at all,just remember everything is done in the rack from the LH end to the center.If it it leaks from the RH end the fluid travels from the LH side to the RHS by the vent pipe.UK kits are the best as they have pliable seals and are easier to fit.Corrosion on the LH end of the chrome shaft are the major concern as its always in the open.Assemble the center housing and piston on the chrome shaft first .one wrap of insulation tape covered in silicone grease on circlip grooves before placing the housing containing the main RH seal on the shaft .Fit one circlip then o ring then piston then other circlip all fitted from the LH end.Line up hole in housing with tube and push in until it stops at hole fit ,fit fitting.LH housing with seal requires a tapered sleeve to fit end of chrome shaft shape.The size of which must spread the seal once the end housing has been offered up to the shaft,once thats on its all a piece of cake.This is the short version for someone with common sense.cheers jrparker@xtra.co.nz

Archived