Wiper Motor Problem

Chuck the Truck

Grateful to anyone who can help with a wiper motor problem or advise where I can get a complete wiper motor assembly for a Mk2 (Part No 51909) including a properly functioning parking switch.  "Maudie"'s wipers work fine on Slow and Fast - but stall on intermittent and do not self-park.  The Parking Switch (12453A) is the problem, but although I've renewed this - no improvement.  My 'gut feeling' is that the plastic operating rod that sticks up into the assembly needs to be lengthened a fraction in order for the 'ramp' to do it's job properly, and provide self parking.  I've tried sliding the Parking Switch to different positions over the complete range of its adjustment . . . but the best I can get is as described above!

I haven't been able to figure out a way of lengthening the plastic rod - but someone may know a 'fix' for this?  Otherwise, I see that Rimmers list the complete assembly (51909).  Has anyone had one from them - and was it any good?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards to all, Chuck
??)  ??)  ;D

The adjustment of the switch is quite sensitive. Make sure that the fitting at the end of the rack is sound and engaging in the 'ramp'. Also check that the wiper switch itself is good. It is possible to take it apart and clean all the contacts. I have no experience of the Mk2 switch, but the Mk1 switch has several contacts that can get dirty. I found that the contact for the 'flick wipe' was the problem when mine wouldn't operate properly some years ago.
Dave

Hi, Chuck my stag is a mk1 I had the same problem some times they wouldnt park or they wouldnt turn off at all, changed the motor for a second hand one still had the same problem,
turned out to be the multi plug I took it apart cleaned the conectors with switch cleaner they have worked fine ever since "touch wood ".
Dave. 

Archived