Sam Russell

I have a Rover SD1 engine fitted in my Stag. The car performs well, with plenty of power, the engine runs well and does about 28 mpg. But I have noticed that my oil use is about a pint every 150 miles or so.  This means that I put oil in more often than petrol.  I have a small leak near the distibutor, but none left on the road where I park.  Blue smoke when I accelerate under full power, but not on overrun.
What is wrong?  Where do I start looking?  Any ideas?

Hi Sam,
First thing would check is the breather system ie the grey little cylinder(gauze filter) on top of the r/h rocker cover from drivers seat. Check that this is not blocked with gunge? if you are running carbs and not EFI you won't have the said cylinder filter ::)Instead you will probably have two smallers grey flame traps fitted somewhere you can try and clean these with solvents (petrol thinners etc) but you really need to change them. Other than that i suggest your engine needs a rebuild :o ie you have crankcase pressure from worn rings :o Or you could have a leaky crankseal or timing cover or sump gasket etc have you looked under the car after a run to see if you have any oil drips???

I have Offenhsauser manifold and a Holley carb, and a pancake air filter. The engine was fitted before I got the car, but it has only done about 2,000 miles since then.  I do not have the history of the car, but I would not think that a burn out engine would be fitted.  The head was reskimmed by the previous owner after the engine was fitted.  Could the valve guides be the cause, or is it rings?
Is it likely to get worse quickly or can I wait for the winter?
Could it be that the oil is not thick enough?

To be honest i have never had any major oil loss on any of my RV8 engines and i have had a few over the last 20yrs and some have had mega miles on them ;D The only oil leaks it did have were from crankseal timing covers and sump gaskets. So without stating the obvious ie it's dripping out the engine somewhere or you are burning it (unlikely) on a rebuilt engine :-/ Who rebuilt the engine have you any history on the lump? perhaps it's still running in or someone didn't run it properly (broken rings) or not honed properly ::) I suppose you could take the plugs out and check for dampness (oil) or do a compression test sorry i can't be of anymore help :B

Archived