Spitfire Mk3 Restoration project - Advice needed

DeanC

Hi, I have a 1968 Mk3 Spitfire - I have owned the car a long time and it used to be my main car 30 years ago.   It's been sitting in my late mum's carport for 30 years - It's a project I've been promising to start for many years.  It's a sizable project as many parts will be seized and/or lightly corroded. 

I am aiming for a realistic restoration, not concours standard, I'd like to keep it mostly original but happy to update/mix parts - in fact I'd already put a Mk4 full syncro gearbox on it

I am comfortable with any/all levels of mechanical work, have all the tools and the spares situation seems better today that it was a few years ago.  However, I have never really done any extensive bodywork and don't have a welder, but have welded (arc) in the past and am pretty good with paint spraying.

I think there are two routes, and I'd like some advice from anyone that has undertaken such a project

Option 1 - Strip the car mechanically and ship the body chassis of to someone that can undertake a body/chassis restoration on a rolling chassis or even non-rolling if that's possible - I can then restore all the mechanical bits

Option 2 - Strip the car mechanically and then undertake the body/chassis restoration myself - There'll be a bit of learning on the way but I'm ready for that

So I'd like advice on Option 1:  Anyone done it this way, any pointers to good restoration companies - Does it work out just too expensive - Or does anyone know a privateer who may be able to carry-out out paid work on-site (in Bromley SE London area)
                                   Option 2: It doesn't seem like rocket science, just a methodical approach (and lots of time) seems reasonable - What welding method would be recommended and any particular equipment makes/models to suggest

I've never really had the time or money to start the project, but I think my time of life and financial situation are about ready for it now.  So I don't have a limitless budget, but conversely I also don't need to do it on a shoestring.  I'm also not expecting to make money on the project, I accept it as a labour-of-love !
- So any advice, guidance would be really appreciated (unless it is "don't even think about it")

Thanks, Dean

Edited by DeanC

My advice would be to invest in some basic sheet metal working tools including a half decent MIG welder and crack on with it.

If you can stick-weld, MIG should come fairly easy. It’s mostly about practice.

My son’s Spit mk4 resto a few years back

https://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7107-chriss-mkiv-basket-case-restored-to-glory/#comments

Hopefully yours is a way better start point!!

Nick

The motto I'd apply to the job, whichever way you tackle it is "Perfection is the enemy of progress". I've seen too many full restorations that are launched into with great enthusiasm but then falter when something doesn't quite go to plan (the chassis paint isn't great, the wing panel isn't perfect... whatever)

Do a decent job, get it on the road and them improve it 😉 

13 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

My advice would be to invest in some basic sheet metal working tools including a half decent MIG welder and crack on with it.

If you can stick-weld, MIG should come fairly easy. It’s mostly about practice.

My son’s Spit mk4 resto a few years back

https://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7107-chriss-mkiv-basket-case-restored-to-glory/#comments

Hopefully yours is a way better start point!!

Nick

Hi Nick, yes I definitely have a better start point, the link you send is a a good read too and gives some indication of time taken. Your son's sheet metal work has definitely come on !

15 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

The motto I'd apply to the job, whichever way you tackle it is "Perfection is the enemy of progress". I've seen too many full restorations that are launched into with great enthusiasm but then falter when something doesn't quite go to plan (the chassis paint isn't great, the wing panel isn't perfect... whatever)

Do a decent job, get it on the road and them improve it 😉 

Good advice, I do tend to err on the side of perfection which I'll have to resist... but I like the point about getting it on the road and then improve it.  I guess it's one of those things to get stuck into rather than over-plan and contemplate... Whatever I plan would change anyway as I'm sure there'll be many surprises on the way