Engine numbers

Rosbif

Hi all, 

I have been following another thread and there was a post showing results from a company called Car check. I thought I would look at what they had on my car.

There is a line headed "Engine code" which I assume to mean the engine number. The number quoted is FD 23231 HE, which isn' what is fitted to my 13/60, it is a GE***** HE.

Can anyone throw any light on FD.

Thanks

Thanks. So hardly likely the FD was original fit then replaced by a GE. Always possible that the original GE was swapped for an FD then back again . . 

My Heritage Certificate has the engine number matching the one fitted, I can't remember if they supplied it as being original factory or they filled in the number I gave them. 

From the table Steve refers to

Note:
GA, GB, GD engines are similar to Spitfire FC engines
GE, RD, RF engines are similar to Spitfire FD/FE engines
DG, DH, FL, GK engines are similar to Spitfire MkIV FH, FK engines.
WB, VB, YC, DM, DS, FP engines are similar to Spitfire 1500 engines
RD, RF engines are similar to GE, FD.

I've just looked at the Heritage site. You can supply them with the engine number in the car BUT if it wasn't the one on their records as having been fitted at the factory it isn't put on the certificate. So my current engine is the original, I thought it was.

This then makes me wonder if other information is incorrect on the Car check site.

I might still pay for the fuller search out of interest, it isn't that expensive.

Thanks for the info guys.