Choke cable/grommet

Alan Armstrong

Hello all,

Am in the process of fitting a fuse box to my Herald, and have found suitable space next to the heater box. I was about to drill an 1/2" hole to accomodate a grommet and feed the wires through the bulkhead...but I noticed close by a 1" diameter hole through the bulkhead which I have identified for the choke cable.

Is there any reason why i cant share this large grommet to take my wires too ?

Appreciate any advice...photo of bulkhead area attached...(with my new fusebox 😇😇)...please rotate image...Grrrr doesnt matter how i save it...still shows upside down!

KR

Alan

IMG_3222-3.jpg

I don't think there's any safety benefit to a new hole vs. an existing one, and sharing with the choke cable should be fine as long as you wrap the new sub-harness in proper electrical tape, and use a proper grommet. The real danger lies in having (unfused) wires passing through a hole without protection - the edge of the hole WILL cut through the insulation. That's what the grommet is for, and why you should fit a new one. Attaching the harness to the choke cable with a cable tie would, if anything, give it a bit of extra protection.

The reason for not doing so - for using a separate hole with a second grommet - is that the hole in the middle of the grommet will seal much better on a single round-ish thing than it would on two together, so you may find marginal benefits for NVH and keeping engine bay smells out.

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments....upon reflection I have 8 wires in total to pass through grommet/grommets, and the choke grommet would become too crowded.

The last comment made to use the unused painted over small grommet (i would replace it) below the choke aperture could take half the wires and so just drill a new hole to take the remainder. the smaller hole mentioned, appears to be unused...I have checked several photos of bulkheads etc...

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction (awful pun) and hope all have a great Xmas.

KR

Alan

2 hours ago, Alan Armstrong said:

The last comment made to use the unused painted over small grommet (i would replace it) below the choke aperture could take half the wires and so just drill a new hole to take the remainder. the smaller hole mentioned, appears to be unused...I have checked several photos of bulkheads etc...

Instead of drilling a new hole open this hole out with a conical multi-step drill.