Electrostatic paint sprayers

standardthread

I assume you are meaning powder coating?, as you mention the cost of powder. In which case as far as iam aware you need an oven to melt the powder to create the coating. I think DIY would mean small items, wishbones etc. anything larger you would need a commercial size walk in oven. There is also an electrostatic paint process that uses wet paint, but I think is only viable for a commercial set up.

5 hours ago, standardthread said:

Heat won't be an issue, a hot air gun played over the rods will do the melting.

But with powder coating, it's not just simple melting--it's a curing process.  For full curing, temps in excess of 350 degF (177 degC) have to be maintained for at least 20 minutes or so, depending on the exact powder.

The powders I use call for 450 degF (232 degC) until the powder flows, then 400 degF (204 degC) for 20 minutes.

Ed

52 minutes ago, Ed H said:

But with powder coating, it's not just simple melting--it's a curing process.  For full curing, temps in excess of 350 degF (177 degC) have to be maintained for at least 20 minutes or so, depending on the exact powder.

The powders I use call for 450 degF (232 degC) until the powder flows, then 400 degF (204 degC) for 20 minutes.

Ed

Thanks Ed.

The idea came from someone who suggested 'on site' powder coating contractors, he is obviously wrong.

Back to a brush and zinc phosphate primer, better still, red lead if you could buy it.

Not sure if you can get a product called POR15 in the UK.  I primed an outdoor railing with it about 15 years ago, and it's still holding.

It does have some drawbacks.  If you get any on you, you'll be wearing it for a while.  If you only use part of a can and re-seal it, chances are that you won't be able to get the top off again.

Ed

14 hours ago, Ed H said:

Not sure if you can get a product called POR15 in the UK.  I primed an outdoor railing with it about 15 years ago, and it's still holding.

It does have some drawbacks.  If you get any on you, you'll be wearing it for a while.  If you only use part of a can and re-seal it, chances are that you won't be able to get the top off again.

Ed

Ed,

This is interesting. The one caveat I have seen about POR15 is that it doesn't withstand ultra-violet light. To use it where it will be exposed to sunlight requires top coating in my understanding.

Regards,

Paul

2 hours ago, drofgum said:

Ed,

This is interesting. The one caveat I have seen about POR15 is that it doesn't withstand ultra-violet light. To use it where it will be exposed to sunlight requires top coating in my understanding.

Regards,

Paul

That's correct, though there are similar products that claim to be UV stable.  Rust Bullet is one, I believe.

Ed

18 hours ago, Ed H said:

Ed

Without realising at the time, I got a speck in my eye once.  It was only picked up by the optician a few months later who thought it was metal fragment or similar and referred me to hospital.  The eye doctor scrutinised it at length under a magnifier, scratched his head and said "it looks like a speck of paint".  The penny then dropped, it ws very well stuck to my eyeball and took some effort to remove!