Time sort inserts

Colin Cutts

The no3 cylinder plug hole in my standard tr7 head is vv worn infact the first few threads are non existent has anyone any experience of using time sort inserts . I am thinking of using them with the head in situ . If anyone has used a different method or make I would like to hear your comments . Thanks 

Würth Timeserts are probably the best thing for carrying out the repair on your spark plug thread. It is possible to do it with the head fitted, I would strongly recommend you contact your local engine reconditioners & get them to do the job as you have to make sure the engine is at the correct position to avoid damage to the piston & valves, you will also need to be able to stop any swarf from drilling & tapping from going into the engine. 

Thanks for your reply I had taken in all your comments I have rebuilt a few engines I am not new to using a drill and taps and dyes having in the dim and distant past had a five year apprenticeship in precision engineering . I was hoping to hear from someone who had actually carried out this procedure. Again thanks for your helpful comments 

My comments are from personal experience, I used to do engine reconditioning back in the 90s & have fitted many a timesert. When carrying out the work, make sure the piston is at least half way down the bore & no valves are open & in the way of the tap as they are easily damaged (don't ask how I know...).

The kits are horrendously expensive and paying someone who already has the kit would be a much cheaper option. 

Should you choose to do it yourself, the kit comes with a stepped tap, the narrow portion is intended to follow the remains of the original thread, it then steps out to the diameter required for the insert, drilling and tapping as it goes. Make sure you keep the flutes packed with grease and keep backing it out, clearing the flutes of swarf & repacking with grease. The insert is driven in using a fluteless tap which expands the bottom of the insert, locking it in position forevermore whilst forming the thread in the bottom of the insert.

I hope this helps and good luck with the repair. 

Amy

• Like 1