1959 TR3A Ex-Andy Flexney "The Yellow Missile" for sale or P/Exch

Posted (edited)

Some vehicles, by virtue of their history and heritage, deserve custodians rather than owners and the Yellow Missile as it was popularly known in Club Triumph is one of them. It needs someone to care for and to protect its identity and above all, use it as intended on road trips and rallies. The previous owner campaigned the car during his thirty years and 240,000 miles of ownership in races, rallies and endurance events all over Europe and during that time developed it to make it the driving machine that it is now. Everything is fully documented in the huge history file inherited with the car and there for all to see and peruse. The car has also been the subject of a number of magazine articles all of which are in the folder.

Take one look at the car and its narrative is clearly evident. It has been built to do a job and it bears all the hallmarks of a driver’s car that has been enjoyed, well used and upgraded to enhance the driving experience. The engine would benefit with a refresh but it burns no oil, there is no smoke and the oil pressure when warm at 2000rpm is 40psi. All it needs is the minimum of work to tidy up the paint but most importantly, retain its patina. A full bare metal restoration would, in my view, be a travesty because the integrity of the motor car and all that it stands for would be lost. But if that is what is desired there is enough in the price for a respray and engine refresh and the outlay would not exceed the value of the car.

Specification

I understand that the car has a galvanised chassis but cannot confirm this.

TR4 engine with 87mm pistons, fast road camshaft, roller rockers, big valve cylinder head.

TR6 gearbox and A Type overdrive.

Revington rack and pinion steering conversion kit fitted

Revington front wheel bearing conversion

TR6 front suspension and brakes

Front and rear anti-roll bars

123 Bluetooth programmable distributor mapped on a rolling road at 1000rpm increments

New alternator with narrow belt conversion

Fully relayed and fused.

12 volt auxiliary power supply

Flick wipe.

Lucas driving and fog lamps

Reversing lamp

Minator 6” alloy rims and Uniroyal Rain Expert 3 tyres.

A set of standard steel wheels are included.

Touring spares package.

Hood, side screens and tonneau cover.

I would consider part exchange for a Dolomite or MK1 Triumph 2000 but the shells must be exceptionally good.

IMG_6402.jpg

IMG_6419.jpg

IMG_6413.jpg

IMG_6414.jpg

Bow.jpeg

tr3 Boot (1).JPG

image.png

IMG_4310.jpg

TRs at the Hicklings 3.JPG

Edited by John Bonnett
  • Like 5

Yes so do I. I'd be delighted if a CT member took it on and continued to use it for competition and endurance events as Andy did during the 30 years of his ownership. Here are a few photos showing the car's heroic exploits.

199x Gavia Pass Summit (1).jpg

199x Stelvio Pass (2).jpg

1989 Alps in Summer (2).JPG

1992 Mosel Valey (1).JPG

2003 10CR Stop in France.jpg

2005 10CR Breakfast before start.JPG

2012 Boys Own to Ireland (3).jpg

2014 Shetland (2).jpg

1959-triumph-tr3a-639722d4bc6b8.jpg

1959-triumph-tr3a-639722d4bce72.jpg

1998 the Cars First Round Britain Run.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent John. Can you tell us if it went to a CT member? If not, let's aim to sign them up since this car best embodies our ethos that these cars are meant to be used as long as we are able/permitted to and  not cocooned as an investment.

Tim

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/06/2024 at 09:39, Tim Hunt said:

Excellent John. Can you tell us if it went to a CT member? If not, let's aim to sign them up since this car best embodies our ethos that these cars are meant to be used as long as we are able/permitted to and  not cocooned as an investment.

Tim

Hi Tim, it went to John Knibb who isn't a member of any Triumph Club. He owned a TR2 before the children came along so he has always had a soft spot for the model. The thing that sold him on this particular car is the history which blew him away and I put him in touch with Andy so that he could learn more about it firsthand. I was so pleased that he thinks the same as I do that its condition tells a story and that a restoration would be a dreadful thing to do. I think he will just tidy it which would be great. 

Could I suggest that you ask Andy to speak to John about joining CT? I do have his contact details but I never pass on information without permission but I certainly would ask John if you would like me to. However, I think it would be best coming from Andy and most likely to get a successful outcome. John has a 1958 Morgan Plus 4 so he is familiar with the TR engine and he also restores British bikes so definitely one of us and in my view a very good fit for CT.

Kind regards

John