13/60: Adding another fuse

A TR7 16V

I'm gathering the bits to convert to an alternator, and have the basic wiring sussed, but I happen to have a spare Lucas fuse box, like fitted to a lot of Triumphs. So I thought it would be an opportunity to fit that where the reg box currently is, as that'll be redundant.

The fuse box takes 2 fuses with 4 lucar connectors on three ends, and six on one (18 lucars in total). So I plan to bring the existing fuse into the new box and feed that from where the main lead from the alternator connects to the battery and solenoid. 

I may run a separate thick lead from the secondary output connection on the alternator direct to the solenoid as well, but only if I ever fit an alternator with a capacity bigger than that of the current connection. I didn't mean that pun, really I didn't.

I'm was thinking to use the second fuse for all the stuff off the A1 terminal of the reg box, which feeds everything run off the ignition switch and the courtesy lights. However, I don't see what the connection from reg box A1 to pin 4 on the back of the master light switch is for, as in what is it connected to in which position of the switch? If I had a spare I'd look with an AVO meter, but I ain't.

Graham

Well I've completed stage 1, and the alternator and fuse box are fitted and everything seems to work. However the fuse box is just acting as a junction for the thick brown and brown and yellow wires, and all the other connections to the regulator (except the earth, of course).

So I now have a kit of parts if anyone wants to convert from an alternator to a dynamo.

• 1 month later...

Now installed the fuse box and have a two additional fuses.

I hadn't realized that there was a flash function on the column switch, which is what was confusing me about the wiring diagram. Now I see what's what, I must say I'm a bit surprised the fuse in the original system only covered the main beam flash (which don't work on my car).

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Fuse holder arrived from China and has been modified to fit on the aluminium bracket in the gutted reg box.

Not sure what to do with 4 fuses though - it was hard enough to find uses for 2 in the box I've got in at the moment. Spose they can act as spare fuse holders.

Just thought I might possibly get one of those plastic fuse extractors to live in this box - I put one in the Sprint glove box. But it disappeared through the wormhole at the back, and I never saw it again. It'll be with all them ballpoint pens that went in there.

Graham