A question about RBRR

Hi All, my name is Aubrey Hawkins and I am entry no. 81 in next years RBRR. I am a member of the SOC (Norfolk Branch).  I would like to raise some money for a local charity in Norfolk.  I have mentioned this to Chris Liles (SOC Area Co-ordinator) and he is all for it - I'm sure some of you will know Chris - the driving force of the Norfolk branch.  Before we go any further, am I allowed to raise funds for our local charity or will this conflict with the RBRR's rules and its charitable intentions?  Seeing as this is my first time on the RBRR I just wanted to check.  Any advice appreciated.

Hi Aubrey, 

The rules and regs of the RBRR do not insist that entrants raise money for the chosen charity, however by entering the event it is assumed that entrants will join in the spirit of the event and do just that.

We would like to be democratic and ask all entrants which charity they would like to support, but of course the replies would be very diverse. We do take note though of any charities that members or prospective RBRR entrants think would be good and include them in the voting. E.G. CT member Mark Bulford did a fantastic job in nominating a motor neurone charity and put forward a very cohesive and intelligent case for supporting them and asked a) if he could attend the meet where we voted and b)asked me to be their advocate at the vote. Therefore the decision is made by the committee that runs CT, all of those members on the Ctte are asked to nominate one and we then go through a voting system at a ctte meeting. This year was subtly different in that at the time of the vote to decide, Martin Randle sadly passed away from Epilepsy. Therefore, we contacted his wife to ask her if she had any thoughts about which charity we should support. She nominated Epilepsy Research UK, I went and met them and found them to be exactly the type of charity that we should support: Small overheads, friendly, modest office etc etc. This was presented to the CT ctte and it was decided and agreed that we should support ER UK.

To ensure that we raise a lot of money, we ask that all entrants do their best and raise money for the nominated one. Therefore we would be pleased if you could follow the status quo. I will be sending out an email within the next few weeks asking entrants to start fund raising pages using Just Giving or similar-this is yet to be decided as ER UK may have a online pledge framework that they like to use?

I do hope you understand this and are willing to support ER UK. 

The Club is rightly proud of the amount of money the RBRR has raised, £600,000 is a superb total amount, last years total of £97.5K was mind blowing!

BTW we have for years wanted to support Air Ambulance, but as they are regional charities, not a national charity we have been unable to go with them. Also, we do try and support charities that are not in the limelight, Guide Dogs being a good example, however, they have seemed to have become more prevalent in UK life owing to their tv advertisement.

I can be reached on 07557 339 123 should you wish to discuss this.

Tim Bancroft