Clutch & knock

StagNL

I have been trying to track down a knock that sounds like it is coming from the front left corner.  It is sporadic and only knocks when taking right hand turns.  I've been looking at the track rod end ball joint, the steering rod joint.  Bothe seem fine.  All bushes (blue poly) seem alright as does the strut top which was rebuilt in December 2008 with new sleeves.  Shocks are new as of Dec 2008.  Anything I missed or should have another look at?

Also noticed that the clutch pedal and gear lever had a gravelly feel to them today.  Only happened in the last few hundred yrds going to work at the first few miles going home.  I say gravelly for the lack of a better description.  Pumping the pedal twice or thrice helped and it was also somewhat sporadic.  Have not had the time to check things yet but I guess I should be looking at the clutch master and slave - both rebuilt just over 20000miles/ 4yrs ago.  I should also point out that I experience some OD slip when accelerating out of corners before the weight balance has returned to neutral.

• 1 month later...

Your knock will be a cv joint or suspension related. You cen never tell just looking at them, you need weight and leverage to be able to feel any free play. Get it on a ramp and let someone who knows the mechanics of a car have a play, I'm sure you'll soon know what's going on and you'll certainly get the parts easy enough.

Ah, forgot about this posting of mine.   I still have not yet replaced the suspension ball joint - as that is pretty certain what is causing the knock.  

The clutch thing solved itself.  There must have been a twig it works.

Julian

Ah, forgot about this posting of mine.   I still have not yet replaced the suspension ball joint - as that is pretty certain what is causing the knock.  

The clutch thing solved itself.  There must have been a twig it works.

Julian

Archived