Steering racks and annoying squeaks

smugfop

Hi folks,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if i can service my power steering rack or is it better to just get a replacement?
I just got my 2500 through the NZ wof test and they pulled it up on the rack being loose, the problem is the rack end and not the track rod end sadly, it doesn't look like i can tighten up the slack but i hoped someone may have a little advice.
Also i have a really really annoying squeek coming from somewhere on the car, it sounds like it may be a wheel bearing squeeking but its not the type of squeek i've heard from them before, its not when cornering but when the engine is under a certain amount of strain, ie on light acceleration and deceleration, its been bugging the hell out of me and i've sprayed just about everything from engine mounts to suspension with wd40 to try and work out where the hell its coming from and it escapes me.
Oh yes 1 more thing, doesw anyone know if the starter motor off any other cars are suitable for a 2500tc 75? mines sounds like someone beating the hell out of a tin shed when i start and has worn its teeth out over the years and has developed a gap on the flywheel which occasionally means i have to get my spanner out and rotate the engine a few degrees by hand
Thanks for any ideas you can give me

Scrap the squeak question. today i spent the morning greasing and oiling everything, wheel bearings and all, and then at the end of it all i heard a slight rattle from the front valance and had a poke around and found that both sides of my radiator were broken from the frame and when u put the engine under certain pressure they hit the radiator and made a squeeking noise!!!! who would have thought?
I also found that the starter is a lucas m100 and is fitted to loads of other cars from around the period, so i'm going to go and bag me one and a steering rack this weekend.

hi there.  is your starter motor inertia or pre-engaged?  if it's an earlier one it could be inertia.  if you change to pre-engaged the driver dog comes in from the other side of the ring gear so if your teeth are worn, this may be a reasonable solution.  if your car is a 75 it should be pre-engaged already, so maybe go backwards in time and put an inertia job in.  that does mean a connection on the inner guard and a bit of wiring, and it's a backwards move really, but if your teeth are that worn, it may be worth considering.  just some thoughts.  regards.

ps where in nz are you?  i'm in auckland.

phil.

Hi Phil,

My starter is a lucas m100 which is inertia, i had it out a couple of times and greased things up but i think its just about had it now, it sounds pretty ropey, i'm a visitor to these shores so don't have much of a tool kit so doing anything serious is not really practical, i'm going to try and get a second hand starter and whip that in.
I'm in Herne bay Auckland, you wrote me a few weeks ago about getting my trump tuned, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, i've been tied up with house hunting and job hunting and generally enjoying New Zealand, you may have noticed some 1970's looking throwback in a white 2500 with chrome wheels zooming about lately....thats me.

Just to keep you up to date i got my grubby mits on a haynes manual and a radiator hose and tuned the SU's myself and can't believe the difference, they were insanely out and i think i must have twice the power now, i did wonder why everyone liked these big sixes, at first i thought they were totally gutless, now i know different.

My shopping list is a power steering rack and starter but i've not seen any adds lately but will keep an eye out, a new diff and driver shafts would be pretty good too, but maybe a little bit too much work for a trolley jack and some cheap tools from warehouse.
I'll throw some pics of my ride on soon, i just need to find a nice spot to take the pics, but NZ being as it is it won't take long (i need to pursade my friend rachel to get her bikini on in this cold weather to spice things up a little)

Thanks again for your help phil

sounds like fun.  i have a mate who collects these beasts and may have some of those parts you're after if you're keen.  over to you.  if you want to contact him, phone me sometime either at work on (auck) 336 0855 or home on 534 3219.  anthony is a veritable mine of information on these cars.  cheers.

Thats great, thanks Phil, i'll try and give you a call in the week. the squeak is back aswell so i'm getting balder by the day butthe radiator repair shop in ponsonby did a great job of welding the old one back up, pressure testing it and painting it for $40.
By any chance is anthony over at pt chev? i drove throught the other day and there was a house with about 6 trumps parked out front, i nearly crashed when i saw them.

• 6 months later...

Why oh why didn't I contact youfor that rack before heading off round the Coromandal Phillip?
I just got home after the Trumps first big'ish trip and feel pretty lucky that I made the decision to head North back through Auckland rather than South to the East Cape.
After a very successful trip East,  I headed back to Auckland but to my horror whilst rejoining SH1 from SH25 may power steering failed at 100Ks and I had to tussle with the steering to keep myself and my girlfriend alive.
The problem was that the pipe from the power steering pump to the rack was touching the exhaust downpipe and over the space of the journey wore a hole in the pipe hence a distinct lack of power steering fluid.
So the long and the short of it is...........is that rack still available Mr Blank? I'm after a few other bits and bobs too if thats ok?
I'll give you a bell after the Xmas Break

no worries.  i'm not sure if the rack is mounted the same as yours from what you've said.  give me a bell about this.  i'm not familiar with p/steer mounting systems, but certainly different from the manual.  doesn't use U clamps, rather bolts that screw up into the rack housing itself.  does that sound like yours?  would have called you but have mislaid number, duh!

Archived