Steering rack mountings

shenderson

I got some new (Superflex) rubbers to mount the steering rack.  This is a manual rack (fitted to a Stag - a long story!)  Problem is, I can't figure a way to compress them.  The 2000/2.5 workshop manual says there there is a special tool to compress the mountings, and there should be a 1/8" gap between the edge of the clamp and the flange on the rack.  The gap is currently about 1/2"; getting it down to 1/8" might be difficult to obtain using the polyeurethane mountings but I still want to get some compression in them to locate the rack.

Anyone got any ideas/advise about where to get my hands on one of these tools, or any other methods to compress these things?

Thanks

Steve

For anyone else out there who needs to fit a manual rack, I compressed the rubbers using a bit of inspiration from the 2000/2500/2.5 Register's service notes.  I cut a length of wood to just fit between the two U-bolt shrouds, then inserted a lever between the end of the piece of wood and one of the shrouds.  I was then able to lever the two shrouds apart and compress the rubbers while tightening the U-bolts.

Steve

Archived