chassis number identification

Keithmac

Hello I'm totally new to this forum and TR's  I've loved the TR's for many year but I'm in the middle of rebuilding a Porsche 930 so I waasn't really looking.. So of course I find a car that is too good to pass up. I have now what the previous owners think is a 1959 TR3   engine number is TS19023E The car was passed to them many years ago by somone who started to restore it but then fell. So I have a car with no rust and not collision damage. there are many boxes of parts as it was partly disassembled. The wiring harness is out and interior is boxed up.  The identification plate is also missing it's possible in one of the boxes but the current owners said they looked and could not locate it. The car has engine number TS19023E... are there any other locations on the car where I might be able to find identification numbers?  

You'll want to keep looking for that plate! IF the engine just happens to be the original to that car, it is possible to trace the car through BMIHT or through other sources by engine number alone. There also are, or should be, two embossed brass tags that sit atop one another on the firewall/bulkhead above the battery. One is usually just a seven-digit number, but the other would start with EB, followed by numbers. Those numbers would be somewhere in the general range of both engine and (the missing) commission number, although they will not match. Unlike the commission number plate, those two brass plates are only held on with screws, so it's likely they've been removed as well.

Hopefully, all three are in one of the boxes!

Archived