josh18

Hey, I had my rear hubs reco'd not too long ago and the left rear is loose again. I have heard this is most likely due to the collapsible spacer collapsing (der!), and I guess because I like to give it to it on round abouts I guess this is why the left rear is the bad one. What are my options to solve this? I imagine I can just tighten it up, but also that it will just come loose again. I read once that you can buy solid spacers for the hubs- is this correct? Id love the custom made hubs like monarch sells but they would probably almost double the value of the car! Apart from the spacers is there another option that wont cost the earth? Also does anyone remember where to buy the spacers?
Cheers
Josh

Hello Josh,

hard cornering won't upset the rear hubs. Possibly the locknuts have come loose so you could re tighten but the odds are it wants rebuilding again? There's no reason that solid spacers can't be used but where you would find them I don't know unless you know of a friendly machinist as they are simple to make.

Alec

I couldn't find a lot on the subject but this excerpt is the sort of thing Im talking about. I will try to re tighten it but fear it will just come loose again. I also read about Andy Thompsons wheel coming off, and now think I will move those Monarch style hubs up the wish list, as Id rather not habe that happen!

Quote off the net
The only other warning I have is rear hubs. The collapsible spacer - there are a lot of them that are crap. Those hubs drove around the world in 2000 sedans with no problem - and the timken bearings in them are huge - they should last forever, so the spacer can be the only culprit. I was getting 5,000 kms out of "professionally rebuilt" hubs, and the guy said "no one else has complained about a problem" - because they have TR6 show cars that do 200 kms a year! I carried a factory built old 2000 sedan hub under my boot floor (it fits around side of spare!) and was routinely putting it back in after the "new" ones failed (could change on the nullabor in 20 mins...) it had a whine, but always got me home.

I machine my own solid spacer and shim it - lasts for over a hundred thousand K's - fantastic - collapsible spacers are ok in diffs - they are rubbish in hubs. If I can collapse it with a big spanner, I'm sure a half ton of rear end pushing a wheel sideways and then hitting a bump could do the same. If you must use one, try and buy the crapiest, oldest one you can in an original factory box, then you know it's not aftermarket - that's where most of the "unreliable" reputation comes from.......

Hello Josh,

re the quote, I've probably had thirty or more years of big Triumphs and not experienced that sort of problem and mine do get pushed hard. I don't run silly over wide wheels however.  The force exerted by the adjusting nuts is a lot more than half a ton, the mechanical advantage of a fine pitched thread and a "large spanner" is a lot.

Alec