Vitesse Mk2 Rear Spring

garyf

I've recently fitted a new rear spring on my Mk2 Vitesse, purchased from one of the well known suppliers and have noticed an unusual problem, the spring eye bushes are not the same width as the gap inbetween the two sides of the vertical link?

I'd say theres about an 1/8" gap each side ??)

Because the vertical link is cast on the Mk2 suspension, I'm loathe to tighten the spring eye bolt up to much for fear of snapping the vertical link.  

Can I simply fit suitably sized washers between the spring eye bush and the inner ends of the vertical link, or are these likely to simply wear away with suspension movement?

I suppose it would be best to fit new Polybush Spring eye bushes of the correct width, but I'm annoyed I should have to do this with a new spring :(    

Any advice on the simplest solution will be appreciated?

Gary

The trouble is I bought the spring over a year ago, only got round to fitting it recently, reckon a couple of washers will sort it then.

I've driven it a couple of times since fitting it and get a clunk when I set off :'(

I know it must be this gap because there was no clunk before, and I've double checked everything else.

Time to get the Spring lifting tool out again :-/ :-/

I recently stripped and rebuilt my Mk2 Vitesse spring and fitted uprated poly bushes, which was part of the set I had bought for the hole car. When It came to fitting it back on the car the bush was to wide, and wouldn't fit in the space on the vertical link. I had to shave about eighth of an inch off before i could lever it in with a spring lifter and Jack. Same old story with parts I have bought for triumphs, don't fit badly made poor quality, with the odd exception.

mark

Yes, fitted them this morning, had to file a smidgen off the steel bush to get it to fit between the vertical link, might be because I overtighten previously and slightly bent the vertical link :-/, but it drives Ok with no clonks or noises :)

A quick clean and polish 2moz and its all set for the Peak run on Sunday, looks like the weathers picking up too 8)  

Archived