bim

Hi all

I have managed to track the original engine down for my 948 it has sat in a local machine shop totally rebuilt as a short motor for the last 15 years. But i need to know if the manifolds/starter/distributer/gbox of a 1200 will fit. I have the diff and propshaft but all other running gear has been lost when previous "restorer" abbanded project. I have rebuilt chassis and body, brakes .would be nice to fit original engine.

bim

Bim although I am a big Six man In hope my comments may be of use.

To be able to return the original engine to the car is a godsend and a no brainer, get the engine (if you have not already done so) and then start to investigate whether the 'extras' fit. 

After all the most the local machine shop can justify charging is the cost of their work plus perhaps a little surcharge for 'storage' but that could be dodgy especially of the charges they they are asking are at current prices unless they can prove that they wrote to the original owner by register letter (or perhaps recorded delivery but not sure abut that) with proof they sent the letter advising them that unless collected by a certain date they would sell the engine to defray their costs (and only their costs). 

As the owner of the rest of the car you should be able to claim right of ownership of the engine (subject to paying outstanding costs of work) unless your receipt for the car specifically did not include the engine - no receipt but supplied with a log book implies possession of the whole car. The machine shop cannot claim title to it unless they wrote to the owner as stated above however any reasonable shop should be co-operative and glad to get rid of the engine at reasonable charge.

I started my Triumph life in 1969 with a standard original 948 saloon DRU388C (experts work that one out!) to which I fitted twin carbs(for rallying) which I think were from a 1200 but could be wrong and could have been a 948 Coupe - heck it was 50 years ago .......  Suspect the rest of the bits may fit but am pretty sure you would get help from CT members if you ended up needing them.

MUT

Everything you mention from the 1200 will fit the 948 without problem or drama. However, you may or may NOT find the carburetion to be ideal, depending on which 1200 carb you have. Also, depending on the manifold, your exhaust headpipe (if you have one) might not mate up to it. Certainly nothing insurmountable, though, and pretty much nothing that can't be accomplished with the usual basic wrenches (no large hammers or welding torches needed)!

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get it for the price it would have cost 15 years ago, that's an even better bonus.

All 1200 ancillaries will fit - starter, petrol pump, water pump and housing etc. although as Andrew says you may need to check your manifold. Anything else from the 948 engine can be sourced relatively easily from Triumph breakers if it's not readily available new.