I currently have a good bare shell for a 1500hl, having been restored in the last 2 years.
somebody stole the engine and box, i assume for a herald.
the question is what goes in?
I'm currently looking at two options;
a vauxhall v6 24v
or a ford v6 24v,
the problem is finding either of the above with a manual box.
and dimensionaly they should fit, the problem then is the exhausts how do you make them fit?
other thing, does anyone have a sprint rear axle VA------S ie the powerlock.

Vauxhall V6 24v gearbox look at a Omega / Calton.
Manual Box with the Ford Cossie V6 24V your be lucky only six where made and they where for the Police nearly all ended up Crashed.

There is a manual American box (Mustang you'll need to check this) which fit's the Ford       Big Bucks though.

Powerlok Sprint diff try
www.SprintParts.Triumphowners.com
  in Australia

true, but they have been done. and where i live i need a sound tht stands out, there are too many v8s locally.
i have two ford v8s, my mate has a mg with v8, theres two merc v8s, a transam, and a aston, all within a mile.
the v6s should keep the q car appeal. the v8 sound is too blatant.

You could always turn it into a Dolomite 2500HL. There was an article in Triumph World a bit back about a chap who'd dropped a straight six into a 1500. It was a bit short on details, but he said it fit surprisingly well and the biggest problem was the radiator. I think he ended up with a modern, long, thin alloy thing out of a Mini Cooper (last of the old style Mini, not a MINI).

It'd be a nice big engine but still a Triumph. I think I read of one V8 Dolly where, rather than squeeze the engine in, the bloke lengthened the front end of the car, grafting an extra two inches in at the rear end of the front wings! Seems a drastic way of getting it to fit, but if you've got the necessary welding skills etc, then why not!

SpitfireQ
The front of the front wing's where lenghten by 2 inche's.
Bonnet is in the same position,
I could of got round this by moving the engine the same amount backward's towards the bulkhead,
Chose this route as the Prop/gearbox and all the other part's can/could be swapped with standard Triumph part's so no lenghty day's of the road or having part's made.

If I was to do it over again I would go for the Vauxhall 16v or Ford 16v (Belt driven Zetec)

hi spitfireQ, while it won't be original, why not just put a dolly sprint engine in and tune it to all hell?  you can get 180 plus bhp out of that engine quite easily and they go like stink when they're set up right.  i've got a mate with a fast dolly sprint that does immoral things to much bigger cars on a local racetrack.  mind you, he has steel balls..... most of his passing is done under braking.

Archived