WIMPUS

Hi,

I've bought last year an engine that was running good and had good compression as spare for when mine someday will fail.
I thought it was an Toledo 1500 engine.
But found out there is ESS behind the number, so it's a recon (1500 reconditioned engine if ESS suffix is used).

So does someone know how to know the age of the engine ?  
How could this be a recon engine, new engine in a fresh bought car that failed and this has been installed then ?

Also as it says on the site i looked that it's  1500 recon, but not saying spitfire or dolomite related ..
So these engines could have been put in a spitfire (i know they are the same, only not the sump).

I'm not sure what i'm going to do with the engine, the alternator & bracket was from a Ford.
As the compression was good i just want to fix the cooling system & paint  the block.

The cooling system is rusty, i think that is my own fault because i left in the water inside the engine for all this time (engine was at a friend his garage... )

So it someone has some info about this DM**** ESS engine please let me know  (also wasn't sure where to post it, as it's spit & dolly/toledo related )  ;)

Some pics of today :)

Hi Wim,
I can only tell about my own experience with triumph exchange engines.
Back in the days when triumph still existed I blew my MkIV 1300 engine (engine number FHxxxHE).
The dealer sold me a new short engine, (block, crankshaft, conrods and pistons) engine number DHxxxESS on an exchange basis.
Everything else had to be reused or bought new. Since the different compression ratio was realised by the cylinder head there was no real problem.
In your case I would check the head number.(TKC1155?)

Harry

2250 wrote:
Hi Wim,
I can only tell about my own experience with triumph exchange engines.
Back in the days when triumph still existed I blew my MkIV 1300 engine (engine number FHxxxHE).
The dealer sold me a new short engine, (block, crankshaft, conrods and pistons) engine number DHxxxESS on an exchange basis.
Everything else had to be reused or bought new. Since the different compression ratio was realised by the cylinder head there was no real problem.
In your case I would check the head number.(TKC1155?)

Harry

The head is a TKC1155 ;)