13/60 prop shaft straps

ChrisHerald

Hello All,

I recently discovered that the propshaft on my 13/60 jad the straps removed from the propshaft. This settled the cause of the knocking noise when I start moving. Now Im going to order them and I have a couple of questions. 

How many straps do I actually need because the parts catalouge is saying eight  but there is only 3 in the diagram.

Second question, is the diagram showing the correct way to install them 'L' shape only? 

Im attaching a picture to show what Im referring to. The straps are marked as number 3. 

Thanks

Christian

Screenshot_20210501_082350_com.android.chrome.jpg

No, the parts manual diagram is simplified to reduce clutter. There should be eight straps - two on each side of the square. They are fitted "alternating" - so put a pair opposite each other, then the other sides, then another pair on the first sides, then a final pair on the second side.

1 hour ago, ChrisHerald said:

Hello All,

I recently discovered that the propshaft on my 13/60 jad the straps removed from the propshaft. This settled the cause of the knocking noise when I start moving. Now Im going to order them and I have a couple of questions. 

How many straps do I actually need because the parts catalouge is saying eight  but there is only 3 in the diagram.

Second question, is the diagram showing the correct way to install them 'L' shape only? 

Im attaching a picture to show what Im referring to. The straps are marked as number 3. 

Thanks

Christian

Screenshot_20210501_082350_com.android.chrome.jpg

But be warned, it may be worse with the straps.

A few years ago a local chap (sadly passed away last year) popped round with his Herald as it had horrendous vibration at 30mph+ So w had a good look underneath. UJs seemed fine, but I noticed it had the strap drive prop. So on the basis it could not make things worse, and was easy to reverse, we removed the straps, rotated the prop 90degrees and bolted it up solid. Yes, it did put teh UJs out of phase, which we thought would be a problem.

Car taken off for a test, 15 mins later one happy chappy. Absolutely no vibration at all. And it remained that way until I last heard, about 18 months ago.

In all honesty, I would be looking for other suspects. Prop bolts all tight? Driveshaft UJs OK? (almost impossible to check for wear easily as they are under the spring tension, but there are clues)

12 hours ago, RobPearce said:

No, the parts manual diagram is simplified to reduce clutter. There should be eight straps - two on each side of the square. They are fitted "alternating" - so put a pair opposite each other, then the other sides, then another pair on the first sides, then a final pair on the second side.

Hi Rob. Thats how I thought. Thanks for clarifying. 

Regards

Christian

12 hours ago, Clive said:

But be warned, it may be worse with the straps.

A few years ago a local chap (sadly passed away last year) popped round with his Herald as it had horrendous vibration at 30mph+ So w had a good look underneath. UJs seemed fine, but I noticed it had the strap drive prop. So on the basis it could not make things worse, and was easy to reverse, we removed the straps, rotated the prop 90degrees and bolted it up solid. Yes, it did put teh UJs out of phase, which we thought would be a problem.

Car taken off for a test, 15 mins later one happy chappy. Absolutely no vibration at all. And it remained that way until I last heard, about 18 months ago.

In all honesty, I would be looking for other suspects. Prop bolts all tight? Driveshaft UJs OK? (almost impossible to check for wear easily as they are under the spring tension, but there are clues)

Hi Clive,

At rhe moment the shaft is not bolted so there is kind of a 'whiplash effect' hence the knocking. UJs are ok, checked them. 

You mentioned the nasty vibration. At the moment Im getting  that vibration from the rear passing 70km/h. 

Should i give it a try then. Bolting it solid? Although arent the straps there to remove some sudden torsion stresses? 

Regards

Christian

36 minutes ago, ChrisHerald said:

Hi Clive,

At rhe moment the shaft is not bolted so there is kind of a 'whiplash effect' hence the knocking. UJs are ok, checked them. 

You mentioned the nasty vibration. At the moment Im getting  that vibration from the rear passing 70km/h. 

Should i give it a try then. Bolting it solid? Although arent the straps there to remove some sudden torsion stresses? 

Regards

Christian

Yes, try bolting it together. Are the straps just missing? Surprised it doesn't just spin! 

Something very odd with your propshaft, but new straps may also help when they arrive.