Exhaust problems on Becky II

Toledo Man

Becky II's exhaust started blowing at the downpipe so I jacked the front end up onto axle stands and when I removed the manifold/downpipe nuts I found that the flange has separated from the rest of the downpipe. Being a later type exhaust it has the balljoint and spring which allows for some flexing. The split is right at the flange. What's the best way of repairing this? I'd rather not replace it as I've no money. I've tried some Halfords exhaust putty as a temporary fix but I could do with something a bit more permanent to at least buy me some time until I can afford a replacement.

Hi Dave, i know of someone who has a complete exhaust system surplus to requirements. I've asked him to go and check it over to make sure its still OK and to come up with what price he wants for it. Will let you know ASAP.

Dan, it's split right at the flange. I might be able to weld it back together but I've no gas and Paul (burnerboy) has eloquently described my welding as like "pigeon sh*t".

Rob, is it the later type exhaust? I steer clear of the earlier type as the downpipe factures past the bend due the lack of flexing. The missing clamp doesn't help. By the way, you still haven't picked up those parts yet.

Hi Dave, i dont know which type of exhaust it is, how do i tell?

Yes sorry about not picking up the parts this weekend, our local clubs organiser decided to quit out the  blue and we had to move all the equipment sharpish before it went missing. Ill give you a call this evening.

Cheers, Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Rob came over yesterday and after he'd left I fitted the exhaust which didn't present any problems. Normally, I'd use copper grease on the threads but because there is heat involved I used some light oil instead and run it down the threads. I treated the surface rust I found with some Kurust, wirebrushed the flanges (this exhaust is the early type), smeared some Halfords exhaust putty on them to ensure a gas tight seal. Because the exhaust is an early type I robbed the bracket that was on Becky and I shouldn't have any problems with the downpipe splitting. I now have a perfect leak free exhaust which is even better than before. Result!

Archived