Sealing a petrol tank

Andy Fl

Fitted a brand new rubber seal and twist ring to the sender unit on my Vitesse petrol tank (because I thought it was time they were changed) and then headed out to the local filling station. Car stunk of fuel as I drove away and when I pulled up to inspect, was horrified to see fuel seeping out past the brand new rubber seal and dribbling the ferciously expensive amber stuff down into the boot. Twisting and tightening the ring didn't solve it and in the end the only cure I could think was drive home and drain the amber stuff out. I have since realised that there are three "knock-down" grip areas built into the tank and the twist ring was located on only two of the three. I have repaired it, but am loathe to bung another xxx quid's worth into just to test it !!

It was only after this happened that I came to think  isn't it a little crazy to have such a large hole cut in halfway up the side of the tank? A fuel level sensor entering through the top of the tank might have been a more sensible design.

The reason for this post was to see if any other members have suffered similar problems to this and whether anyone has come up with an innovative cures ??? Thanks as always to anyone who reponds. regards Andy

Hi Andy

I too have suffered the same problem after my rebuild.  Filled up the tank to then see petrol drip out of the boot onto the forecourt.  Had to drive home and try to fix the problem there, dripping fuel all the way!!

No inovative way to fix.  Just removed the ring and made sure it was locating all three securing points then hammered that blighter home.  Sealed well now without any additional sealer.
Cheers
David

Archived