Shoe horn hood cover not opening...

itsglitzy

Hi all, im a total newbie and hobbiest but love triumph stags, and have recently bought a stag, i have removed the hard, the cover over the hood which is opened via a lever on the offside,...when i pull the lever the offside cover catch opens but the driver side doesnt, any ideas or advice to resolve this can anyone help, big thx in advance for any advice, apologies for my poor terminilogy but i'm hoping im clear enough....

Lowering the soft-top supposedly takes 5 minutes, but really just takes two minutes. Here's how it goes: unlatch the two clamps above the windscreen; pull the lever on the bottom of the rear, left passenger seat to release the rear of the hood; fold up the rear window, and latch the clip on either side; pull the lever again and raise the tonneau cover; fold the main part of the roof-top making sure the loops of fabric are out of the way; lower the hood into the cavity. This part can be tricky as the clips holding the rear of the hood together sometimes come undone, which really makes raising the hood later more of a pain. The way that the hood folds into the rear cavity is very, very neat and leaves the car looking clean-cut. The hardtop can go on at this stage, or better still the car can take you for a topless drive.
HOPE THIS HELPS....ADAM

Hi itsglitzy,

I assume we're talking about the tonneau cover over the hood well? . . . it's released by a lever on the nearside (passenger side) at the base of the B-post.  The lever operates cables to (1) the central spigot which locks down the rear of the softtop and (2) the tonneau cover catches on each side.  The cables have adjusters on them - but to get at these you need to remove the rear seat backrest . . . which means opening the tonneau cover to get at the securing bolts!  (This is where we came in . . . can't open the tonneau cover!!)

Suggestions:  Get an assistant to bear down as hard as possible on the driver's side of the tonneau cover (to take any pressure off the catch on that side).  Then give the release lever a bl**dy good yank . . . it might be just enough to release the driver's side catch?  Otherwise, by peering down the driver's side lock plate with a good torch, you may be able to see the end of the operating cable . . . a piece of wire with a small hook bent into one end might enable you to tweak the cable and release the catch.
The full procedure to remove and refit tonneau release catch cable is defined on Page 76.61.20 of the REPAIR OPERATION MANUAL - ISBN 1 85520 0139 . . . available on loan to Club Members from the Club Library - or around £32 from James Paddock (cheaper to join the Club!).

Best of luck!   ::)

Archived