jim_b

Isn't this gearbox the same as it is in the Marina? In that case, why the Extreme Pressure spec? Marina application sees it filled with straight 20w50s, yep, engine oil.
1988 Autodata, the last year that listed the Dolomite range, specifies 20w50s too, for both cars using that gearbox. ;)

The following is from the dolomite 1300 BL handbook page 49
recommended lubricants all seasons - british isles

engine                                              gearbox, o/d and R axle

BP,                    BP super 20W/50                                   BP gear oil SAE EP90
Castrol,              Castrol GTX                                           Castrol hypoy
Duckhams          Duckhams Motor oil Q                             Hypoid 90
Esso                  Esso Uniflo                                            gear oil 85W/140
Mobil                 super 10W/50 or special 20W/50             Mobillube HD90
Petrofina           20W50                                                  XP90/140
Texaco             20W50                                                  mutigear EP90
Shell                super mutigrade                                      spirex EP90

So thats engine oil in the engine and gearbox oil in the gearbox, some off them EP or XP
Hope this is off some help.
Intrestingly the 1979 Autodata dolomite manual suggests Hypoid SAE90 for gear box top up and  75 for gearbox fill!! Although i wouldn't take too much notice of Autodata books as they seem to contradict themselves a lot and have a lot of inncorrect or misleading info in most of their publication.

OK, so how do the same gearboxes in Marinas require 20w50s engine oil, as do many boxes of the period where phosphor bronze surfaces are present? Not untypical of BL/JRT in that period I suppose, but if there's an official recommendation for a certain oil, then I'd go with the one that doesn't have the EP pack, other than in a back axle of course.

I wasn't referring to the Autodata manual for the Dolomite, but to Autodata, for that year, big thick book, used to come on the Proto truck every Autumn, contains the tribological requirements, engine tuning settings and service requirements for everything currently available up to ten years after their production cycles.
Not to be confused with the car manuals for individual, amateur consumption, Autodata is more like Wards or similar and sits somewhere in pretty much every garage throughout the land on that shelf where ICME lives too.(ok)

Sorry misunderstood your autodata quote,
Personally i would stick to what the original dolomite handbook states, i never have had a dolomite leak oil so never had need to top up so can not speak from experiance.
Havn't got a clue why marina would recommend engine oil, maybe it was cost cutting!

Hate to interupt your little argument but the original post from jim b doesn't say Dolomite does it? It just says 1300 in which case should definitely not be engine oil but an EP 90. Having said that he may mean a Dolly as a 1300 FWD gearbox cant be drained without removing the rear cover or tipping the car upside down (I'm joking, don't respond to that). It is supposed to be sealed for life and just topped up though I realise they were never intended to live for 40 years.

Is not an argument, its a difference of opinion, seems jim_b (who owns a dolomite) has kinda forgotten anyhow. can you not drain a 1300fwd box by taking out the two centre bolts that go through into the block or by taking out a drive shaft?

Bring your car around and we will try some new ways of draining the oil. large hammer and chesil or maybe a drill bit. ;D

The gearbox has a rear cover, is that the one you mean? It would certainly be a good idea if the lowermost bolt hole was drilled through. The only time I've had to remove the rear cover I just stuck a washing up bowl under the back of the box to catch the oil as I broke the seal on the gasket. I may look into that next time but it's not something you have to do very often. There is a filler plug on one side and that sets the level (when it starts coming out of the hole it's full).

Wow, a lot of posts!

I thought I'd answered before, but apparently I didn't hit that important 'Post Reply' button...

Thanks very much for the help! My car is a 1300 fwd (had it for about 6 weeks now), so it looks like I can't actually drain the gearbox oil - I'll top it up with EP80 or 90 instead, according to the haynes the level plug is on the rear-left side of the gearbox casing.

Thanks again for the help, I'm still learning my way around the car so I hope it's OK if I post on this forum with questions!

Cheers
Jim

377 wrote:
umm, Yogi, apparently Jim has a 1300 fwd not dolomite as i may have mistakenly, wrongly, incorrctly suggested, not sure why i thought that, so in future just ignore me, although yogi, the offer of a geqarbox drian plug adaption is still there.

Blimey, that almost sounds like apology! I've bought some new toys for my car, you'll see them on Sunday.

Archived