JamesR

I really want to ask the stupid question, and ask where in the engine the oil should and shouldn't be. Ok. Currently without a great inspection, there is black oil around the rocker cover, hmm a small pool in fact and the rocker cover gasket appears to have absorbed said oil which has not escaped and is creating some sort of huge amount of suction on the rocker cover if I should wish to remove it.

Engine also smells like its burning oil. So really I'm wondering where the oil should and shouldn't be. Obviously I'm suspecting the valves, but its too damp to remove the cylinder head atm. So I'm thinking it could be poor lapping by me recently or the obvious worn guides. Any decent way of knowing these things or if a certain valve is to blame without removing everything. Obviously I'll have to at some point.

Thanks the_nutter, whilst this is a great offer of help I can probably wait until the weather dies down a bit before dragging people half-way accross the country.
Whilst I can't do anything I'd rather know stuff like.
How does the oil get onto the plugs?
I feel like I need one of those cross section diagrams to show me where everything should be first.

Worn valve guides are the favourite, visible as a build up of black carbon deposits on the valve stems.  This may be visible by removing the carbs and looking through the inlet ports.  Other possibilities are oil control rings, and liner glazing or lacquering.  This "fills up" the honing marks and leads to loss of oil control, high oil consumption, etc.

Only real way to know is to look and understand what the symptoms are telling you, as speculation is just that, and you currently have only limited information.

Archived