Tom Walsh

Would anyone have any ideas why I would be getting oil pushed out of the rocker cover cap? It appears to exit from the small breathing hole but even when I block it it exits from the surrounding area. There not a lot of oil but it makes a right mess which has to be cleaned after each use. I have checked:
- the pipes which go to the carbs which are clear
- having removed the rocker cover nothing obvious appears to be wrong
- the rubber in the cap appears to be in good working order

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Many thanks
Tom.

Is this a PI car or are you on carbs? Have you got all your breathers in place? Are they clean? A photo of your engine bay would help a lot.
On a standard car with all the breathers free and clear this symptom could be as a result of worn out piston rings allowing combustion gasses into the crank case but don't go down that route first - as it's the most expensive to fix :-)

Put some loot on its a  alloy rocker cover , the cap has  a wee hole init,!!!

if it is, then take it apart, and seal it up frae the inside,  itsgood for one thing only, ..

letting oil ooot :-/ :-/ :-/

Marcus

2131 wrote:
As you'll see its the carb version.

Well there's your problem, TR6s were never meant to have that old tat on there, get some PI on it  ;)

OK, maybe there's another way :-) Do you have a compression tester? If so, do a test on all 6 and ensure you haven't got any issues there, you should notice such things, the car would be down a little on power and oil hungry. Pull the breather off the rocker box and give it a good blow, wipe it off first or you'll never get rid of the oil taste! Is it really free flowing?

How long have you been running without any air filters? What's the history of the engine?

Reason it lets oil oot of there is the stupid design, it holds oil tooooo close to the top, so when it get alot up there, it come oot the wol,

its the same one as I have, and it leaked frae the first time I strted it,
the more poke you give it, the more the pressure builds up too,

if you got a little back pressure, then put another breather in the rocker box, or make the one there bigger

the one that came with mine was actually smaller ID than standard,
tap it 3/4and that will doo,,
but in the mean time....

block it up, thats an order,. ;) ;) ;)

Marcus

Gents,

I bought a new rocker cover and cap which has solved the problem. Turns out that the previous owner (I've only had the car for 10 days) had been using the wrong one and accpeted there was going to be an oil leek!!

Thanks for your help

Cheers, Tom.

Archived