Triumph Acclaim  Carburettor Tuning

Doug Owen

Hi There,
Anyone out there had any experience of "Mobile Tuning" of the "Keihin" Twin Carburettors, comments please!  Also, Any recommendations for Tuning "Experts" in the South Wales Region; any thoughts, comments, welcomed! Doug Owen.

I've recently set up the Keihins on my Acclaim, not sure if that makes me an expert! I found the most useful notes in an Austin Rover product training workbook, rather than any of the mainstream literature.
My carb setup isn't 100% as I lacked a carb balancer and a gas tester. I've been able to balance most other carbs by ear using a tube, but I wasn't happy that I'd done so with these. I think the relative layout of the engine bay makes listening far more difficult than on the more familiar (to me) Triumphs. As it happens, I got the emissions spot on, but I will do it all again once I get tound to picking up a carb balancer.
If you're finding any specific problems maybe I can offer some advice. The only real problem I encountered was getting a suitable screwdriver into the mixture adjustment screws. Clearance is limited, I had to partially remove the plasticshroud around the lefthand carburettor.
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived