Stag water pump

staggered

Can anybody offer any advice?  After a full engine rebuild including new water pump the engine was making a 'whistling noise'.  I suspected the water pump so took its cover off and found that the clearance between bolt and cover had gone and bolt was rubbing on cover.  I ground a little bit off the bolt and put a thicker gasket in then checked for a gap with engineers blue and there was a gap.  I re-assembled it all but the whislting has not gone away and does sound like the pump.  There are no water leaks.

Does it whistle all the time?  There really is very little to no pressure when the engine is cold.  Mine whistles a little when cold and then goes away after warms up.  I suspect its a vacuum line of some sort rather than the water pump.  Look at the base of the carb mounting pedestal.  Thats a tricky  O ring to get in there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a little bit of coolant appearing at the back of the engine between the vee.  Engine doesn't steam or overheat and no discernable drop in coolant level. So is it the water pump which I got HRS to replace 2 years and 3,000 miles ago or the carb inlet manifold (carbs rebuilt this year by Abinger Motors) that is the most likely source of the leak.

64K question, Growler. It is almost impossible determine which. One way I have heard of is to dry the area as well as you can, then spray talcum powder all over the vee area, covering as much as you can, then run the engine. Use a small mirror and a torch to try and see where the water is coming from. Hopefully it is the inlet manifold gasket(s) and not the water pump. In fact, if it is only a little trace of water, I would pu my money on it being a gasket.

Dave

[quote by=wakaday link=Blah.pl?b=stag,m=1168814376,s=6 date=1171233990]Try and find a Stag that doesn't have a damp Vee. Nearly all the heads have had a skim now and it makes it more difficult to seal the inlets up completely.
If it dont overheat, don't worry about it.[/quote]

Sorry Wakaday, have to disagree with you on that one. Any coolant in the vee should be investigated asap. If it is the inlet manifold gaskets they can give out completely all of a sudden. This will either lead to coolant sucked into the engine (with the risk of hydraulicking the bore leading to bent conrod) or to sudden large loss of coolant from the system, and I would not want that at 70mph on a hot day. The water pump quickly becomes starved of water and overheating is rapid.
Even with skimmed heads and/or skimmed inlet manifolds, it is not too difficult to get a seal. There are various thickness of inlet gaskets available which can be used to make up the difference.

Dave

As I understand it, if the heads have been skimmed then the inlet should be skimmed to suit. Otherwise the bolt holes on the head are too low and you cannot get the ports to line up correctly.

Personally I think it's a pain having the waterways via the heads into the manifold, maybe I should block them up?

Hi,

I presume youve disconnected the p/s belt and alternator belt just to rule them out.

I'd check the carb pedastal O ring. If this is not fitted correctly or seated properly it will cause a whistle due to sucking in air.

The other thing to check is the vacuum pipe for the air flap control on the airfilter box. It connects to the inlet manifold - near to the water pump...

Regards,
Chris

With my stags water in the V has been due to a weeping hose joint.  The leak couldn't be seen under normal conditions but showed up after pressure testing.  I made up a pressure tester with some fuel hose attached to the expansion pipe tube on the rad and a tyre valve, (with the bulbous end trimmed off ) hose clipped into the other end.  I then pressure tested the system up to 20psi using a footpump with a gauge.  I use the same method to check the expansion bottle and its cap.

Tony

Archived