TR4

Mark Forster

Hi, anyone and every reader,

I have a 1964 TR4 I am thinking of selling, inherited project but do not have facilities or time to fix. Garaged since 1982, 25,573 proven miles, needs a bit, no, quite a bit of work. 5 new tyres so it rolls, have not looked at engine yet, colour code 25 green (yet it'sblue!, not resprayed). How much do you think it's worth? Can send photos and give more details if required

As you would expect, a difficult question to answer without seeing the car.  When restored to a decent standard, these cars can fetch strong money, maybe up to £20k.  Useable examples needing work could be around half of that, with projects may be fetching up to half again.  Searching for sold cars on Ebay may give a feel for how things are currently selling. 

Paint code 25 is Conifer Green, which is a BRG type shade and could not be mistaken for anything other than green, so a bit odd that yours is blue!

Edited by mikeyb

On 27/10/2021 at 19:40, Mark Forster said:

Hi, anyone and every reader,

I have a 1964 TR4 I am thinking of selling, inherited project but do not have facilities or time to fix. Garaged since 1982, 25,573 proven miles, needs a bit, no, quite a bit of work. 5 new tyres so it rolls, have not looked at engine yet, colour code 25 green (yet it'sblue!, not resprayed). How much do you think it's worth? Can send photos and give more details if required

Very difficult to give a value. But photos would help.

A really good TR4 will fetch 25K, but needs to be very good everywhere. Yours will need a complete recommission (all hydraulic systems will need rebuilding, but major mechanicals? you may get lucky)

The big question is bodywork and chassis. That gets expensive very quickly. Also interior. 

You may be best off consulting one of the big classic auctioneers. They would be able to advise. Cars like that are often sought after as they have not been  molested.

On 31/10/2021 at 10:15, mikeyb said:

As you would expect, a difficult question to answer without seeing the car.  When restored to a decent standard, these cars can fetch strong money, maybe up to £20k.  Useable examples needing work could be around half of that, with projects may be fetching up to half again.  Searching for sold cars on Ebay may give a feel for how things are currently selling. 

Paint code 25 is Conifer Green, which is a BRG type shade and could not be mistaken for anything other than green, so a bit odd that yours is blue!

Thank you for your response, my mate is a car painter of vast experience and it has definately not been re-painted.  

TR4.zip

There is defintely no hint of green there!  That blue is not recongnisable as a Triumph colour to me either though, is it metallic?  The car looks ok and very restorable, I think that you may be pleasantly surprised at what it may realise in value.  The reg number does not however come up on the DVLA online database search, it may well be worth you looking into updating the records and getting a current V5.  Tread carefully though and try to avoid the pitfalls of the DVLA.