Herald 1200 br master cyl/be light sw

Keith Johnson

Hi all, the br master cyl seals on '64 all drums Herald went, so started to replace them but noticed the rod that connects to the brake pedal had been hacked about. Looks like it's been cut then welded back together and the hole for the clevis pin is oval. Bought & fitted complete new master cyl & now brake lights permanently on cos pedal doesn't come high enough up to close the brake light switch. It's like the plunger in the new cylinder is too short. Has anyone come across this before or knows exactly what length the rod from master cyl to pedal should be? Keith 🙂20220410_182416.thumb.jpg.7853be023168601229bfc9450a1697b4.jpg

Edited by 21162
Wrong area of the forum 🙄

Can you lift the pedal so it presses teh switch? If so you may be missing the brake pedal spring. 

The brake light switches are often adjustable, with a pair of nuts, or sometimes washers. Bit of a faff to reach in there, but it may be a simple fix.

Otherwise as above, or I believe you can buy a variable length arm.

Hi, thanks Wendy & Clive for your replies. There was a thick washer (appx 5mm thick) between the switch and it's mounting plate, which I'm guessing whoever buggered about with the master cyl rod had fitted to sort the brake lights. I've attached a pic to show it, the blurry pic is before, showing the washer/spacer and the better pic shows once I've removed it & got the brake lights working. We've owned our Herald since 2007 n it needed quite a bit of work, amazingly never had to touch the brake master cylinder. Been out today for a wizz after oiling trunnions👍😃20220422_191709.thumb.jpg.9ed93dbc2d50390d912263ea5eb9e990.jpg20220422_195113.thumb.jpg.7049206fac7a8ec4f0c538094d3e29bb.jpg