Herald body underseal

Jack Hartshorn

I confer with Rob. Bilthamber is very good and comes in clear or black. If you want the body colour of your car to show then obviously clear. Earlier (historic wax treatments were good until the maker made them thinner, greater profits?).

It's really the wrong time of year to use it if spraying it on, the warmer the air temperature the better.

Before you apply anything try and get the old underseal off first, especially the bitumen type, that hardens over time and can detach from the body leaving pockets behind it to trap water, and cause serious panel damage. Removing old underseal also lets you see where there could be rust that WILL need treating before applying wax. Bilthamber also market a solution to convert rust in to 'black iron' and 'destroys' the rust.

48 minutes ago, standardthread said:

I confer with Rob. Bilthamber is very good and comes in clear or black. If you want the body colour of your car to show then obviously clear. Earlier (historic wax treatments were good until the maker made them thinner, greater profits?).

It's really the wrong time of year to use it if spraying it on, the warmer the air temperature the better.

Before you apply anything try and get the old underseal off first, especially the bitumen type, that hardens over time and can detach from the body leaving pockets behind it to trap water, and cause serious panel damage. Removing old underseal also lets you see where there could be rust that WILL need treating before applying wax. Bilthamber also market a solution to convert rust in to 'black iron' and 'destroys' the rust.

1 hour ago, RobPearce said:

Dinitrol and Bilthamber are the usual recommendations. How are you planning to apply it?

It’ll be my dads mechanic friend that will be putting it on he’s planning to do a little bit of welding underneath the car in his garage and then I thought I would get some under seal and ask him to do it since he has a car lift and I only have a little set of ramps, I’ll ask him to try and remove the old stuff but I don’t think it’s had any on because it was sat in a field when I bought it.