Spitfire 1500 hood replacement - any supplier recommendations?

yorkshire_spam

1 minute ago, Clive said:

Hi Sam. I have bought 2 hoods (mk3 and mkIV) from Don Hoods. I got the "original" type vinyal as opposed to the economy type.

Been very happy with both, quality is good. Bit of a lead time, though that may be better this time of year.

Thanks Clive. Not fussy on the lead time etc. just don't want to spend good money on something that's not up to the job.

Hi Sam,  I would confirm Clive's comments on quality and lead time for products from Don Hoods - they do get busier spring onwards.  I looked at a number of manufacturers and opted for them on quality and price. The basic fit is excellent and ours is completely waterproof and has endured torrential rain.  Christine and I fitted it over a hot sunny weekend - if you take your time and work methodically you will get a nice result.

I fitted a mohair one to replace the vinyl original on our Spitfire 1500 and still looks good and leakproof after 3 years.  I would imagine the vinyl hoods use exactly the same pattern and as Clive says the vinyl hood quality is good. 

• Like 1

Was surprised how immaculate the mohair hood has kept with very little extra care needed.  When dry I give it a stiff brush if req between washes.  I wash it when I wash the car using a Halfords bug sponge with car shampoo as per bodywork.  Rinse it well with clean water and you can actually dry it with a synthetic chamois.  Apart from that I reproof it occasionally with Nikwax Spray that is used to reproof outdoor clothing.  Overall, no more labour intensive than cleaning the bodywork.

• Like 1