Ignition barrel replacement

Glenn

Has anyone replaced an ignition barrel?  My car came to me with what appears to be the wrong key.  I can get the ignition to switch on but then I can't get the key to the starting position.  Yet sometimes I can get it to crank over but then the ignition circuit is off so no chance of it starting.

I've been quite happy just hot wiring it but I suppose I can't put it off much longer now I'm thinking about the MOT.  My options are to replace the barrel or swap the steering column with one from a scrapper.

I'd rather do the first option but can't work out how to do it.  Are those headless things shear bolts and do I have to drill them out?

I'm not so keen on the second option as I'll have to change the door looks too.  But if I do this will a facelift column fit my pre-facelift car ok?

Help!?

To remove the shear bolts to release the ignition barrel you need a sharp drift/centre punch. Punch two small holes in the shear bolt opposite each other at the outer edge of the bolt. You should, with a little patience, be able to "worry" the bolts lose by tapping them round using the punch in these small holes. You can now change the ignition barrel.

Once you've done that, replace either the same bolts in the same manner, or cut two slots in the heads and screw them back in (or replace with new shear bolts)

You can now make your "new" ignition key match your existing door locks if you can't get a full lock set.

Remove the front door handles (2 screws inside after removing the door cards)

At the back of the handle, behind the lock you will see a circlip. Remove and then withdraw the lock barrel.

Put the "new" key in the lock, and for the lock to turn, all of the little brass pins need to sit down flush to allow the barrel to turn. You will find that some of them will be standing proud. Gently file the offending ones down until they all sit flush. Check in the lock, file as required, then refit.

Hey presto, one matching lock/ignition set!

God, don't you love basic cars!!!

Alan - a million thanks.  Top information.

I'll have a go at tapping the old shear bolts out tomorrow.  I'm ordering a few other parts so I'll get a couple of new ones for when I replace the barrel.

Impressive trick with the door locks!

Cheers,
Glenn

Archived