Spitfire Mk3 Help on restoration

DeanC

I posted a while ago on regarding my ambitions to restore an old 1968 Mk3 Spitfire.  Some good advice was offered, however things have changed a little and now have a couple of basic choices because I just don't have the time or garage space to start the whole job myself - Although I have most of, and can learn the rest,  of the necessary skills to do it.

I am now forced to make a decision because the garage that the car has been sitting in for many years has now been sold and I must do something very soon.

So my options are:

1.  Sell the car as a restoration project and put the cash toward an already restored Mk3 Spitfire 
Does anyone know who may be interested in the project or maybe has a completed project and wants to start a new one, possibly as a p-ex?

2. Find some who could take the car away, get me a head start to a restored rolling chassis and I can do much of the rest
Can anyone suggest someone who may want to take on this as a paid project ?
I think the rolling-chassis restoration I am after could be worked-out to do as much or as little as makes it viable.

Thanks, Dean.

Edited by DeanC
Posted before it was complete

I have a couple of questions.

Is the car still a complete car, or has it been taken apart? And when you say "completed to a rolling chassis" do you mean all the bodywork welding, or do you want it as a bare chassis with all restored suspension etc fitted? 

I will be honest, it is cheaper to spend 10K on a good car than to restore one if you have to pay somebody to do the welding and spraying. But if you have an attachment to the car it can be worthwhile. 

13 hours ago, Clive said:

I have a couple of questions.

Is the car still a complete car, or has it been taken apart? And when you say "completed to a rolling chassis" do you mean all the bodywork welding, or do you want it as a bare chassis with all restored suspension etc fitted? 

I will be honest, it is cheaper to spend 10K on a good car than to restore one if you have to pay somebody to do the welding and spraying. But if you have an attachment to the car it can be worthwhile. 

Hi Clive, the car is complete and aside from the 4 flat & perished tyres (which I can replace) and the almost certainly seized brakes, could be rolled out of the garage. It currently has a factory hard-top fitted which I could remove. The engine & gearbox (Mk4 syncro on 1st), I could remove and rebuild (again).  I would imagine that stripping out the rest to leave body and suspension for restore elsewhere may be what I'm after.  I've seen Mk3 chassis units for sale and then the bulk of the work is suspension and panel work.  Spraying I can do subject to space/weather but once it's a straight, rolling chassis/car, it becomes a lot easier for me if I wanted to get that done locally at a paint-shop.  So really by rolling chassis, I'm really meaning a rolling bare car which is sound and straight. 

I do get what you say about spending £10K on a good one than to restore my one, but you know how these things are, a labour of love and an emotional attachment can make common sense go out of the window. 

If you have any further pointers, advice, recommendations, they be gratefully received 

13 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Dean, I know someone in Norfolk who may be able to help you get a start on it, perhaps get welding done to allow you to redo the mechanics and paint?

Hi Scrapman, given what I've said to Clive on my other reply, do you think there is any mileage in us talking further about/with this Norfolk guy ?

Thanks, Dean

11 hours ago, DeanC said:

I do get what you say about spending £10K on a good one than to restore my one, but you know how these things are, a labour of love and an emotional attachment can make common sense go out of the window. 

We have all been there, and perfectly understandable.

If Colins suggestion is who I think it is, I would be inclined to let him paint the car as well. 

Ideally send any such place the car stripped of all trim, interior etc saving them a lot of time and you money. Plus less likelyhood of bits going missing. Getting a freshly painted bare car back is rather nice. And fitting all the trim etc is very rewarding and makes you feel like you have been involved in a lot of the restoration. Helps with the "ownership" thing.