Selling spares

Velocita Rosso

I coming to the opinion....go on say it....that people are just not interested in buying advertised second hand spares unless you are giving them away. Trying to reduce the amount of unwanted  `stuff` on the shelf is getting to the point....that you may as well just throw it away/scrap it.

In days gone by ,renovators would be glad of the ` hardly used good spare`......but nowadays no one is interested

Even at Stoneleigh there were `moochers` and not many buyers walking out with bags of goodies on their arms

I bet if I were to list numerous items , free of charge I would be inundated with interested people

There has been a change in attitude. People have access to so many outlets from the established  retailers through to ebay etc. So few buy spares to keep on the shelf, and assume they can buy whatever they need when they actually need it. So end up with crappy quality stuff and then complain. 

A load of people looked at a genuine NOS overdrive switch I was selling. All boxed, and I wanted a little more than a repro. Then the right buyer came along, who had found his brand new repro switch was intermittent. He snapped mine up. Likewise if you have an overdrive gearbox and so on they are the things people will always want.

Will I have a stand at Stoneleigh again? Yes, I really like the community feel of a grouop sharing some space, and acting as a focal point for the usual suspects to come and scrounge a cuppa. But I think I will be far more selective in what I take, probably very nice stuff and rummage boxes of £1 stuff. 

• Like 1

I shoved some stuff on Faceache market place after it had no interest here.... a load of messages saying "is it still available" but only 1 actually followed up and bought something. 

Makes me sad to chuck stuff in the scrap skip at the tip, but I'm not going to go out of my way and end up out of pocket if there's no demand for stuff.

Totally agree with the previous posts.

Those foolish enough to think 'new' or 'NOS stock' (usually cheap rubbish) will always be there will no doubt find at some point that they have a scrap car, all for the want and need of an old restorable part that people through away.

I have a garage and cellar full of old spares and panels that will go for scrap, and it goes against the grain.

I think it is called a disposable society, now with finite resources.