Jump to content

Where to start?


Recommended Posts

My mum owns a herald C reg so 1965 I think, fairly low mileage about 30,000 genuine. It was my dad's before he passed away and he bought it new.  It has sat in a dry garage for years.  It was up and running 40 years ago and ran perfectly with limited work as it has sat in the garage since my dad passed away.  It has been under cover all this time.  Haven't had a chance to even get to look at it recently.  Would love to get it up and running again.  It is in South Wales at the moment and we live in Sussex.  To be honest I just don't know where to start. I would have to get someone to do the work for me but I don't know where to turn to find someone that would be honest and know what they are doing with the car.  It's more sentimental value now but to see it up and running would be fantastic as I drove this little car when I first passed my test and would love to be able to drive it again.  Also don't even know what it would cost to get it on the road again so all in all its a little daunting.  Can anyone offer me any advice please?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


You being so far from the car, and (I presume) not having the skills, or family with the skills, to re-commission a long-stored car, is a  real problem.    The first could be dealt with and I would suggest is the  first step.    Arrange somewhere to store the car near you.  If you don't have the garage space, then does your local council offer lock-up garages for rent?

Then arrange to get the car to you.   There are companies that will carry cars on trailers or proper car transporters, as I imagine this car has no MoT or is even currently licenced.     You should know that any car that is not currently licenced should be on a "SORN" (Statutory Off Road Notification) with DVLA.     This notifies them that your vehicle is not being kept on the road side or being used, another reason for having it in a garage somewhere.  A car that has been in store as long as yours may never have been SORNed, but that's not a problem either, just inform DVLA.

Then, when the car is more convenient to you, join a Triumph Club!     Club Triumph, of course, or else TSSC.   Both have local area groups (CT - Groups - Club Triumph Ltd and TSSC - The Triumph Sports Six Club - Areas (tssc.org.uk) ) and I would suggest to  choose the area most convenient for you.      Contact the local area leader and ask if they  know of a sympathetic garage/restorer near to you.   Or, an MoT tester.

To have some idea of how much it will cost to put the car back on the road, an MoT inspection will reveal all the safety aspects.      The MoT assumes that the vehicle is running, can be driven to the Test Station and onto the car lift and brake tester.   It need not be licenced, IF you are driving it to a booked test appointment, but it should be insured.    If it's none of these, a sympathetic tester might come to you to inspect it, but could  not provide the detailed testing that they could do in their workshop.      Some offer collection of a vehicle to be tested, but that's usually by a staff member driving it to the test station, not transporting it.

Another way is to have the car inspected by a professional.   The AA and RAC offer car inspections, and freelance technicians do as well.    They will come to the car, which removes the transport problem.   The inspections are "pre-purchase" so provide details of all the cars faults and problems, but they aren't cheap!

Hope this helps!



Edited by JohnD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think, one way or another, you need to get an independent appraisal of how much needs doing to get the car back on the road. Whether that's from a paid inspection or somebody in a club who knowns that model very well - just somebody who's not "quoting for a job" 

There's a country mile in cost terms between a solid car that needs the engine / brakes / running gear going over to fix/replace anything that's perished and a rot-box that needs new floors, sills, wings, boot floor, respray AND all the mechanicals recommissioning.

THEN once you have an estimate of what's involved make a conscious decision on whether it's worth it to you for the sentimental reasons. If you pay somebody else to do the work the car will likely never be worth what it costs, but it might be worth it to you. What you don't want to do is just plough in and spend money and then fall victim to "sunk cost fallacy" as the bills and total cost escalates. 

Also... make a conscious decision on whether you want it at "usable" condition or "show" condition. Personally I'm happy for my cars to luck like a bit of a mess as long as they stop and go as they should and don't break down too often. 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where abouts in Sussex. I host the East Sussex CT group, you are welcome to pop along for a chat and meet some of the locals. Some of us know our way around theses cars pretty well, and has restored a few. 

Even pictures would give a reasonable idea. 

We meet at the Halfway House, Rose Hill (between Lewes and Uckfield) the first Wednesday of the month from about 7.30 and most of us are friendly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...