Steering wheel question

Philip Evans

Hi all. 

I have recently bought my first Triumph which is a 1973 TR6 with original steering wheel. I would like to change this for a wood/aluminium one which I have seen on many other cars and wondered which one most people go for as there are quite a few different options available size wise. Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks, Phil. 

IMG_20230422_193159.jpg

I cannot advise on size or dish/flat. However, please buy a quality wheel. There are a lot of substandard wheels available. The original Formula type are lovely if you can find one. Otherwise Mota Lita are a decent maker, others too. None are cheap.

1 hour ago, Philip Evans said:

Hi all. 

I have recently bought my first Triumph which is a 1973 TR6 with original steering wheel. I would like to change this for a wood/aluminium one which I have seen on many other cars and wondered which one most people go for as there are quite a few different options available size wise. Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks, Phil. 

IMG_20230422_193159.jpg

and you will need the boss to suit

5 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Black 15'' leather motolita is a good choice. I have them in my TR6 and mk1 Saloon and very good they are. Expensive!

Astrali wheels seem to be rated as well.

One or two others have a bad reputation.

+1 for a  Moto-Lita wheel. I have had a black leather covered  14" flat Moto-Lita in my 4A for over 50 years and have been very happy with the function and appearance. I like the chunky feel - I can't be doing with a thin hard plastic-rimmed steering wheel. The Moto-Lita is showing some wear at the ten and two o'clock  positions but I consider that patina after all this time.

DSC01143.JPG

Edited by Tim Hunt
  • Like 1

I have fitted a Motalita Wood /Aluminium wheel in my Spitfire which looks and feels fantastic although in a crash I'd much rather be using Tim's wheel.

The one I have is very slightly larger than the original and is easier to use when parking and has a nice balance at speed - so worth considering what you want out of the new wheel in terms of feel compared with your current setup when you choose what size.

Depending on how good the adapter boss is you may also have issues with the distance to the stalks on your steering column.