Can I tell from engine number whether my GT6 has a recessed head- or not?

mlove52

I have a GT6 project car that I am trying to get running… Does anyone know if it is possible to tell from the engine number whether it has a recessed head or not? Engine number is KE1019HE.

i know that the changeover occurred in August 1971, but that doesn’t really help as my car was first registered that month. I guess on balance of probability it is probably the non-recessed type but I’d rather know for sure if possible. Hoping not to have to take the head off just yet but you never know!

The obvious givaway is the head gasket. If it has a tab sticking out at the rear of the head it is recessed, if not tab it isn't.

(but beware, I have had an engine that wasn't recessed bore, but had the incorrect gasket fiitted. Likewise somebody could ciut the tab off the gasket. People do odd things)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mlove52 said:

I have a GT6 project car that I am trying to get running… Does anyone know if it is possible to tell from the engine number whether it has a recessed head or not? Engine number is KE1019HE.

i know that the changeover occurred in August 1971, but that doesn’t really help as my car was first registered that month. I guess on balance of probability it is probably the non-recessed type but I’d rather know for sure if possible. Hoping not to have to take the head off just yet but you never know!

After all these years it could have any number of heads on it, personally I would pop it off and take a look…

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your very helpful comments.

This one is being done on a very tight budget so at the moment it is a question of getting her going for absolutely minimum spend and then decide what to do from there - unlike my spitfire. I don’t have another 4 years or bottomless pockets 😂

On the positive side the Inlet manifold has now been reconditioned…. With a new stainless steel water pipe.